The 'Miracle' MARK FELIX - 53 years young!

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

The 'Miracle' MARK FELIX - 53 years young!

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu May 14, 2020 6:06 pm

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Felix is the magic unaging man.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu May 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:

Hey man thanks that is cool I've never heard of him.

When I was young I used to really enjoy those Wolrd's Strongest Man competitions, I remember names like Magnus Ver Magnussun etc... but haven't watched the competitions since forever.

How do these new guys stack up with the oldschool legends?

Did this Mark Feliz guy ever win the event?

wouldn't mind catching up on some history of this sport

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri May 15, 2020 8:10 am

Masato wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:

When I was young I used to really enjoy those Wolrd's Strongest Man competitions, I remember names like Magnus Ver Magnussun etc... but haven't watched the competitions since forever.

Magnus Ver Magnusson is now the head referee for WSM. In terms of strength, as in what numbers they put up, strongmen get stronger every decade. In terms of greatness, there has been 1 or 2 guys who have surpassed him in greatness/achievement. If you go on youtube every year of WSM from the 70s to modern times is available and you can catch up on them. I watched them all within the last year.

I should also mention that in the 90s there was growing criticism of how to run the events with more and more people feeling the events should involve more static events(standing still and lifting, as opposed to something like the loading race) and in 2002 Arnold Schwarzenegger launched the Arnold Strongman Classic which intentionally focused on static events to fill the void. At first it was a smaller event but it grew very quickly and now many consider the ASC equally if not more prestigious than WSM. Its harder to find ASC events on youtube but most years are there even if they are broken up into many parts.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 15, 2020 3:58 pm

I like the non-static events

In the old competitions it was about overall strength, USEFUL strength, lifting shit from A to B, carrying cars, tossing stuff, pulling ropes etc. All sorts of different activities that would translate to a practical useful strength overall.

You could be the strongest static event guy but farm boys like Magnussen would outwork you on the field all day

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Masato wrote:I like the non-static events

In the old competitions it was about overall strength, USEFUL strength, lifting shit from A to B, carrying cars, tossing stuff, pulling ropes etc. All sorts of different activities that would translate to a practical useful strength overall.

You could be the strongest static event guy but farm boys like Magnussen would outwork you on the field all day

- I love those. Its cool to watch a guy pickup a car and walk several meters. Or pull a air-plane. I also like that they pay homage to mythological tales of Hercules or Atlas.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Luigi wrote:
Masato wrote:Magnus Ver Magnusson is now the head referee for WSM. In terms of strength, as in what numbers they put up, strongmen get stronger every decade. In terms of greatness, there has been 1 or 2 guys who have surpassed him in greatness/achievement. If you go on youtube every year of WSM from the 70s to modern times is available and you can catch up on them. I watched them all within the last year.

I should also mention that in the 90s there was growing criticism of how to run the events with more and more people feeling the events should involve more static events(standing still and lifting, as opposed to something like the loading race) and in 2002 Arnold Schwarzenegger launched the Arnold Strongman Classic which intentionally focused on static events to fill the void. At first it was a smaller event but it grew very quickly and now many consider the ASC equally if not more prestigious than WSM. Its harder to find ASC events on youtube but most years are there even if they are broken up into many parts.

- Mark Henry won a Arnold Classic strongman event!

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Masato wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:

- Remeber Ahola?
Dude is like a forggoten strongman!

Me and my friends loved watch him compete!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat May 16, 2020 4:45 pm

I remember Ahola. He was much smaller than most competitors but yet he torched them in most events.

I would love to know if there is a GOAT of strongman. Is there someone in its history that most would agree was the greatest ever? Who has the most wins? etc

I could get back into following again if there are some good characters around

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm

Masato wrote:I remember Ahola. He was much smaller than most competitors but yet he torched them in most events.

I would love to know if there is a GOAT of strongman. Is there someone in its history that most would agree was the greatest ever? Who has the most wins? etc

I could get back into following again if there are some good characters around

Ahola has the greatest traps of all time! The GOAT of strongman is Big Z(Zydrunas Saviskas). Nobody comes close. He is the strongest man to ever walk the face of the earth.

Return to “Super Dojo”