Cris Cyborg crushes Julia Budd by fourth-round TKO to become Bellator champion

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Cris Cyborg crushes Julia Budd by fourth-round TKO to become Bellator champion

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:38 pm

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin Jan 26, 2020

Cris Cyborg is a champion once again.

Following an unceremonious end to her UFC career, Cyborg wanted to make a good impression in her debut with Bellator MMA, and she delivered with a fourth-round TKO to finish Julia Budd to win the 145-pound women’s title.

While she didn’t overwhelm Budd early, as she’s done to so many of her past opponents, Cyborg may have put on one of her most complete performances with the victory on Saturday night.

Best known as an offensive juggernaut, Cyborg was definitely looking to punish Budd in every exchange at distance, in the clinch or during the moments when the fight hit the floor. While Budd was struggling to put together any truly effective combinations, Cyborg was patient yet explosive by measuring her strikes and then opening up with a barrage.

Time after time, Cyborg chopped down Budd by attacking the legs, then going to the body before finishing with shots to the head. Even in the clinch, Cyborg’s powerful yet methodical attacks kept Budd guessing as she just constantly got stuck in bad positions all fight long.

By the close of the third round, Cyborg had Budd mounted and began raining down punches and elbows, but time ran out before she could get the finish. That was the beginning of the end, because Cyborg knew the momentum was on her side, and as the fourth round got underway, she went for the kill.

The Brazilian backed Budd up against the cage, as she had done several times in the fight. But this time, she started unloading with rapid-fire punches. Once again, Cyborg forced Budd to defend her head as well as her body, and that’s what ultimately brought an end to the fight.

Cyborg’s barrage opened up Budd’s midsection, and that’s when the former UFC champion connected with a shot flush to the body. Budd doubled over in pain and fell to the mat as referee Mike Beltran swooped into stop the fight at 1:14 into the fourth round.

“I respect Julia,” Cyborg said following her victory. “She was a long time undefeated. I’m really happy. This is a new era. I’m happy to be a Bellator champion.”

After leaving the UFC for Bellator, Cyborg looked refreshed and better than ever with her performance against Budd to claim the championship in her debut. Now that she’s back on top at 145 pounds, Cyborg has designs on Bellator president Scott Coker finding her some new competition.

“I would Scott would like to make a Grand Prix,” Cyborg said after Coker wrapped the belt around her waist.

The win also makes Cyborg a champion in four different promotions after claiming belts in the UFC, Strikeforce, Invicta FC and now Bellator MMA.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/1/26/21082029/bellator-238-results-cris-cyborg-crushes-julia-budd-by-4th-round-tko-to-become-bellator-champion
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”