Donald Cerrone has no hard feelings over Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal fighting for the ‘BMF’ title

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Donald Cerrone has no hard feelings over Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal fighting for the ‘BMF’ title

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 pm

By Jed Meshew @JedKMeshew Sep 12, 2019

The biggest news coming out of last weekend wasn’t Khabib’s Nurmagomedov’s dominant win over Dustin Poirier, it was the UFC officially announcing that Nate Diaz would face Jorge Masvidal for the Baddest Motherf*cker in the Game belt in the main event of UFC 244. The BMF title was specifically called for by Diaz after his win over Anthony Pettis and will now be commissioned as a “one-and-done” title by the UFC. That’s a shame because that means the man previously most associated in MMA with the term BMF, won’t even get a chance to challenge for the title.

Speaking at pre-fight scrum yesterday, Donald Cerrone made it clear that if he got to invent a belt, it would’ve been the BMF belt, but that he’s got no ill will towards either Diaz or Masvidal.

“Oh that’d be it, for sure,” Cerrone said.

“That’s cool though. Good for them. I don’t have any regrets or hostility towards them. Good for them. Yeah, why not?”

Of course he would. Cerrone is the owner of BMF Ranch in New Mexico, a facility that serves as home, gym, and playground to a number of fighters. Though the facility has been in operation for a number of years, Cerrone says he never trademarked the term. He could attempt to win the BMF title the old-fashioned way, by paying the iron price, but “Cowboy” admits that might be tough given his history.

“There we go,” Cerrone said to the suggestion he fight the winner of the BMF title. “Except both of them whipped my ass already so that’d be kinda hard. [Laughs].”

Cerrone lost a unanimous decision to Nate Diaz back in 2011 and TKOed by Masvidal in 2017. Both were only speed bumps in the road for Cerrone though he returns to action this weekend against Justin Gaethje in the main event of UFC Vancouver. The winner of that bout will be on the short-list of possible challengers for the lightweight title but with Tony Ferguson having first dibs on that, Cerrone says he’d be happy to fight either Diaz or Masvidal next, if the opportunity presented itself.

“I’d fight either one of them, I don’t care,” Cerrone said. “I love fighting so it doesn’t matter to me.”

UFC ESPN+ 16 takes place in the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, BC this Saturday.

Source:
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”