Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington targeted for UFC 244 in New York

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington targeted for UFC 244 in New York

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:23 pm

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin Aug 28, 2019

It looks like Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington will finally have a chance to settle their longstanding feud.

On Tuesday night, UFC president Dana White confirmed targeted plans for the welterweight title fight between Usman and Covington to take place at UFC 244 in New York on Nov. 2.

When asked directly if that fight was headed for the card being held at Madison Square Garden, White answered back ‘yeah’ twice consecutively. Additional sources have confirmed to MMA Fighting that at least one side has verbally agreed to the potential title fight, although bout agreements have not been issued at this time. Combate first-reported the booking.

Usman has been recovering from double hernia surgery after he went under the knife following his dominant, five-round unanimous decision to take the title from Tyron Woodley back in March.

He had plotted a return during the latter part of 2019 so the timing fits for Usman to defend his belt in November.

As for Covington, the former interim champion earned his seventh win in a row overall on Aug. 3 when he soundly defeated Robbie Lawler in a lopsided decision to secure his place as the No. 1 contender in the division.

Covington had been calling for the fight against Usman at UFC 244 but there was some concern that a cut he suffered in the lead up to his bout against Lawler could potentially delay his return until December.

It appears Covington will be ready to go by November with the fight against Usman now targeted for UFC 244 in New York.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/8/28/20836369/kamaru-usman-vs-colby-covington-targeted-for-ufc-244-in-new-york
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”