Three fighters miss weight, force changes to PFL 5 fight card

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Three fighters miss weight, force changes to PFL 5 fight card

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:40 am

By MMA Fighting Newswire Jul 24, 2019

Several fights have been changed for the Professional Fighters League 5 card on Thursday night after three athletes failed to make weight on Wednesday.

Two lightweights and a featherweight did not hit the mark, which then forced the promotion to scramble to change the card ahead of the upcoming playoffs starting later this year.

Lightweight competitor Ramsey Nijem was disqualified after his weight was not recorded after he failed to fully step on the scale to allow for an accurate measurement according to New Jersey State Athletic Control Board counsel Nick Lembo in a statement to ESPN.

Nijem was then removed from his scheduled fight against reigning PFL lightweight tournament winner Natan Schulte.

Another lightweight contender Carlao Silva also failed to make weight after coming in at 159 pounds for his fight against Jesse Ronson. Silva was also pulled from the card and PFL ultimately opted to match up Schulte against Ronson on 24 hours notice since they were both competing in the same division.

According to Ronson’s manager Daniel Rubenstein, he was not given any other option but to accept the fight against Schulte or get pulled from the card entirely without being paid.

“Ronson wasn’t given the option to accept a walkover and [earn] 3 points. Nor was he given option to fight original opponent Silva to earn bonus points by finish,” Rubenstein said on Twitter. “Asked if he could fight Shulte, but be given the 3 points — told no. His “options” were to accept Schulte or not fight/get paid.”

PFL has not released an official statement on the changes with that fight.

As far as the featherweight division goes, Gadzhi Rabadanov also failed to make weight and his fight against Daniel Pineda was scrapped. Pineda will earn an automatic 3 points for the walkover and he will be eligible to enter the playoffs if he has enough points compared to the other athletes fighting this season.

PFL 5 is headlined by a lightweight scrap between Chris Wade and Akhmed Aliev, who both made weight without incident on Wednesday. Wade came in at 156 pounds while Aliev was at 155 pounds.

PFL season one winner Lance Palmer will serve as the co-main event in the featherweight division as he faces Luis Rafael Laurentino, who made a spectacular debut earlier this year with a first round knockout against UFC veteran Jeremy Kennedy.

Both featherweight contenders came in at 146 pounds for their showdown on Thursday night.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/7/24/20726519/three-fighters-miss-weight-force-changes-to-pfl-5-fight-card
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”