Aljamain Sterling ‘wouldn’t be mad’ if Joseph Benavidez gets the next crack at Henry Cejudo

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Aljamain Sterling ‘wouldn’t be mad’ if Joseph Benavidez gets the next crack at Henry Cejudo

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:00 pm

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin Jun 30, 2019

Aljamain Sterling already understands the difficulty of one fighter holding titles in two divisions while waiting for his shot at current double-champ Henry Cejudo.

On paper, Sterling should be next in line to challenge Cejudo for the bantamweight title following his win over Pedro Munhoz at UFC 238 that improved his current winning streak to four overall.

Unfortunately, Sterling watched Joseph Benavidez likely cement his spot as the No. 1 contender in the flyweight division after he tore through Jussier Formiga in their rematch at UFC Minneapolis.

Benavidez also has the benefit of a past win against Cejudo from their prior meeting in 2016. All that factored together and Sterling can’t get upset if Benavidez forces Cejudo to defend his flyweight title before returning to then put his bantamweight belt up for grabs.

“If I lost the first crack at Henry Cejudo to Joseph Benavidez, I wouldn’t be mad at all,” Sterling wrote on Twitter. “Joey B. is a legend of the game and with that performance it’s tough to argue who should get the first chance to dethrone the king. Congrats Benavidez.

“I understand all the background stuff to build both our cases from a UFC [public relations] stand point,” Sterling continued. “Joey B. winning like that, while having a win over [Henry Cejudo], gives him good skin in the game to get the first crack. I earned it as well. This double champ shit is sadly getting old.”

No decisions have been made at this point regarding Cejudo’s next title defense, especially considering he just underwent shoulder surgery that will likely put him on the sidelines for the remainder of 2019.

When he returns, Cejudo will undoubtedly have contenders lined up at both bantamweight and flyweight champing at the bit to get at his titles. After Saturday, it appears Benavidez might be leading the pack.

Source https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/6/30/20252857/aljamain-sterling-wouldnt-be-mad-if-joseph-benavidez-gets-the-next-crack-at-henry-cejudo
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:00 pm

- What a nice guy, Sterling is.
Gonna get a place on my Man-crush list!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”