Masato
Site Admin

Just signed my son up for BJJ

Postby Masato » Thu May 01, 2014 8:45 pm

He's 6.

Snagged his first gi this afternoon, he is stoked:

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Thu May 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Dude, welcome to the fun journey that is BJJ with your child. I will let you know now, that its pretty simple. They like to please, they will learn eagerly. But give it a few years and the struggle (may) start as he will grow into teendom.

I started my daughter around the same time and she still enjoys it, but she does like to slack off and try to skip out quite often.

Good luck buddy!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 02, 2014 9:10 am

^ well sadly I don't train any more these days...

The place I signed him up has classes where kids and dads can be on the mat at the same time, which is really cool. I watched a class when I was checkin out the club, there were like 3-4 dads, 2 young kids about the same size maybe 7-ish, and a boy and girl about 11. Everyone was rolling/sparring lightly with their respective weight class, but it was obvious they trained and drilled together too. I never saw that before but it looked like a great vibe.

I stopped training mostly because the nature of my work is chaotic and I can't maintain and regular mat-time (in my experience, if you aren't going minimum twice a week you ain't really getting anywhere).

But now that my son is in it maybe I can just do it for fun and not take my own skill development so seriously. I still long for a time when my life is not so bust and I can sink my teeth into it again.

Maybe I'm just making excuses lol

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 03, 2014 1:01 pm

- The thing when starting this young it's not let the fire burning fast.
For a children, or for some adults, nothing is more boring than a rotine, if you cold get him to the class in diferent times would be a good thing.

And that young, if he trains Brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo or whatnever doesn't really matter, whats matter is doing a physical activity that helps to desenvolve the physical qualitys.
Basically the martial arts intself doesn't matter so much when that's young.

Another good activitys would be capoeira to desenvolve agility or gymnastic(thumbling?)

Good lucky to the young warrior, and remember:

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Masato wrote:^ well sadly I don't train any more these days...

The place I signed him up has classes where kids and dads can be on the mat at the same time, which is really cool. I watched a class when I was checkin out the club, there were like 3-4 dads, 2 young kids about the same size maybe 7-ish, and a boy and girl about 11. Everyone was rolling/sparring lightly with their respective weight class, but it was obvious they trained and drilled together too. I never saw that before but it looked like a great vibe.

I stopped training mostly because the nature of my work is chaotic and I can't maintain and regular mat-time (in my experience, if you aren't going minimum twice a week you ain't really getting anywhere).

But now that my son is in it maybe I can just do it for fun and not take my own skill development so seriously. I still long for a time when my life is not so bust and I can sink my teeth into it again.

- Buy some mats and pratice at home with your son.:)
When you can't comit to the gym, you train at home.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Masato wrote:^ well sadly I don't train any more these days...

pfft

i've invited him to train tons

hes getting too old and or fragile, I'm not sure which one..
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon May 12, 2014 11:31 am

Canuckster wrote:

pfft

hes getting too old and or fragile, I'm not sure which one.
.[/quote]

- And if Masato gets on TRT?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon May 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Canuckster wrote:
pfft

hes getting too old and or fragile, I'm not sure which one..

yeah wah wah wah, I crushed my nasal cavity to bits, can't train, wah wah wah

I ain;t the only slacker bwoy :)

Return to “Super Dojo”