BJJ in Toronto (for a friend)

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
evil-kungfool

Re: BJJ in Toronto (for a friend)

Postby evil-kungfool » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:47 am

I called the head instructor at the place in Brantford and I would 100% train there if I could.

However, it's just too far for my buddy in Toronto. If you guys hear of any other schools like that, let me know!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I can’t believe there ain’t any good bjj clubs in Toronto. I’d invite to my club in Burlington, a bit closer than Brantford but still a bit of a trek, especially with rush hour.

There must be some good options in Toronto. Why look elsewhere?

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Just did some internetting because of this thread. Holy fuk there's so many BJJ places to train at now in Toronto! When I first started there was only 5. Pretty sure there aren't any inexpensive clubs anymore in the city. I can also vouch for Lin Martial Arts and Salvosa BJJ, as I trained under both before back in the day.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 pm

If your buddy is looking for self defence, why not find an mma club? Or go to my friend’s Systema club?

Bjj is great of course but the learning curve is really awkward for beginners and imho it’s becone a lot more sporty than fight-y

If he’s in his 20s and looking to learn how to fight for realz he may enjoy some other styles, no?

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:23 pm

^ one of my brothers takes Systema too. maybe he goes to the same club as your buddy? Vlad Vasiliev's club?
Anyways... he says systema is something that you either get it or you don't. If you get it, then it can be very effective. If you don't then it sucks just like any other TMA.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:^ one of my brothers takes Systema too. maybe he goes to the same club as your buddy? Vlad Vasiliev's club?
Anyways... he says systema is something that you either get it or you don't. If you get it, then it can be very effective. If you don't then it sucks just like any other TMA.

Just called him.

He said he used to train with Vlad but now he trains with this guy named Manny (Emmanuel) at 'Systema Fight Club'

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Masato wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:^ one of my brothers takes Systema too. maybe he goes to the same club as your buddy? Vlad Vasiliev's club?

Just called him.

He said he used to train with Vlad but now he trains with this guy named Manny (Emmanuel) at 'Systema Fight Club'

Ask him if he knows an Asian dude named Henry. That's my bro. He trained there since the mid 2000s.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:48 pm

I will.

Apparently at this Systema Fight Club they spar with full strikes and no gloves. I can’t imagine training like this but that’s what he says. I’m guessing they don’t try to fully KO each other but still pretty badass

Return to “Super Dojo”