Demetrious Johnson and Ben Askren both released, clearing way for UFC-ONE ‘trade’

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Demetrious Johnson and Ben Askren both released, clearing way for UFC-ONE ‘trade’

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Demetrious Johnson and Ben Askren will be indeed be switching promotions.

By Anton Tabuena @antontabuena Oct 27, 2018

The reported “trade” between UFC and ONE Championship will be pushing through. According to ESPN, both organizations, along with Demetrious Johnson and Ben Askren’s management teams, have agreed to the parameters of a switch between the two fighters.

Both Johnson and Askren have been released from their UFC and ONE contracts respectively, and will be signing new deals with their new promoters shortly after.

According to Ariel Helwani, there were also stipulations that both fighters will not be able to sign with any other promotion following their individual releases, as it was only a function of switching organizations for both.

Since reports of the switch broke out earlier in the week, Askren has been calling out just about everyone close to his weight (except McGregor) in the UFC. As for Johnson, the former UFC flyweight champion just took to social media after news broke that the finer details of “trade” was agreed on.

Askren, 34, hasn’t fought since beating Japanese lightweight star Shinya Aoki in what was supposedly his retirement bout in 2017. Johnson, on the other hand, was on the short end of a close split decision against Henry Cejudo that lost him his UFC belt last August.

Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/27/18032834/demetrious-johnson-and-ben-askren-both-released-clearing-way-for-ufc-one-trade-mma
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Jehannum

Postby Jehannum » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Excited to see what Askren can do, and glad to see Mini Mouse gone

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:53 am

I'm actually excited to see MM go up against some of those vicious Burmese Lethwei guys in ONE. He'll prob go for takedowns right away, but let's hope the Burmese upped their TDD game.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Jehannum

Postby Jehannum » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:25 pm

When so many fans were complaining about DJ's title reign and having cleaned out the division I kept telling them this often happens but it doesn't last forever, someone always finds a way to beat them or gets a gift decision and life goes on. Here we are not that long after the complaints looking at a situation where not only has DJ lost but he's left the UFC too. The main reason I'm happy he's gone is his harsh criticism of fans and his self entitled attitude in general. Just because he's skilled and had a long title reign he thought it was his divine right to be loved and worshipped as an MMA legend, but fighters don't get to make those calls, the fans decide and you just have to suck it up and accept it. If you don't want to market yourself as something you're not then you can't expect fans to support you the way they do those who are willing to do that.

The size of the 125'ers and the large octagon are definitely hindrances, but the UFC tried to promote the division and tried to find him new challenges, but casuals just don't like him and that's his own fault. It's television, learn how to act ffs.

He'll love it in Japan anyway so I'm losing no sleep over it.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:49 pm

This works for everyone!

Return to “Super Dojo”