Blood Choke risk/dangers..?

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Blood Choke risk/dangers..?

Postby Masato » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Hey all

Wanna know if anyone here knows the physical realities/risks of CHOKES in BJJ

Whenever someone tries any sort of collar chokes/blood chokes, I seem to have a tendency to fade out rather quickly, even if its not really sunk.

This happens so frequently that I have become familiar with the sensation, and have sort of drawn a line as to where/when I should tap and when I think I'm OK and can manage an escape.

However many times even when I escape, I'm a bit dreamy for a few seconds. I can clear my head pretty quick and keep going, but I would like to know if this is really stupid or not/how much damage I may be doing.

Should I be tapping every time I feel even the slightest effects of a blood choke? Even just a little? Is it OK to get just a little bit foggy for a second if I think I am on my way to a clear escape?

This has happened a lot in my life, I'm always surprised to hear brown belts etc tell me they've never been choked out because I've been choked out plenty, lol but don't really know the seriousness of it or how risky it is for the body/brain

Again, I think its only because I may be a bit more susceptible to it. I have no trouble tapping if I think its tight, no ego here but would like to be able to keep fighting if its just a simple grip and I know its not in and I can get out. Its just that usually this process ends up in a little hint of dreaminess

How risky is this? thx

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Stop giving up your neck .protect that shit. Start doing neck building exercises.

Don't be a pussy, ride that choke out, keep deep breathing when you're fighting it. Some people are more susceptible than others.

I've never been choked unconscious, but I've tapped plenty to rear naked, guillotine over the years due to not wanting my trachea crushed.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Also, all the weed you do and you're worried about a few chokes? Lol
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm

You've never been choked out? really? see that's what I'm talkin bout thats so weird I've done like 1/100th of the mat time you have and I've been choked right to sleep a bunch of times lol

Granted most of the times its only for like a second but still, weird enough I'm like tapping from the dreamscape

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:57 pm

I've been choked unconscious a few times back in the day. And every time Mark Stables was there. It became a running joke that whenever Mark visits our gym, I get choked out. Good times.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:34 pm

I'm sure if I rolled more with Mark I'd have been choked out more, he's as legit as it gets

I trained there once years ago before a tournament was a lot of fun.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 am

Canuckster wrote:I'm sure if I rolled more with Mark I'd have been choked out more, he's as legit as it gets

I trained there once years ago before a tournament was a lot of fun.
I never really rolled with Mark at all. Maybe once or twice. He was just there to witness every time I got choked out. Like he jinxed me or something. Lol

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:57 am

- Dont foget the damage onthe discs when we get put on those unconfortable lapel chokes!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:- Dont foget the damage onthe discs when we get put on those unconfortable lapel chokes!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:20 pm

^^ guy spends his time/money dyeing his hair pink

just sayin'

Return to “Super Dojo”