Bellator president Scott Coker: Fedor-Sonnen, Bader-Mitrione both targeted for October

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Bellator president Scott Coker: Fedor-Sonnen, Bader-Mitrione both targeted for October

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Scott Coker provides an update on the planned dates for the two Bellator heavyweight tournament semifinal matchups.

By Mookie Alexander @mookiealexander Jul 2, 2018

While Bellator MMA has already made plans for its eight-man welterweight tournament, there’s still the matter of finishing up the heavyweight Grand Prix, which has reached the semifinal stage.

On one side of the bracket, Fedor Emelianenko is scheduled to take on former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen in one of the highest profile bouts in Bellator MMA history. The winner of that matchup will advance to the final to take on either Ryan Bader or Matt Mitrione, so it is very possible to see two longtime light heavyweights (Sonnen and Bader) vie for the vacant Bellator heavyweight title soon.

When can we expect to see these semifinals? According to Scott Coker, they’re looking at mid-October.

“We’re trying to keep it in close proximity,” Coker told MMAjunkie. “I want both of the semifinals to happen close together.”

Coker revealed that it’s possible those fights could be staged on back-to-back nights. One would assume that could mean a Friday night show on Paramount Network/DAZN, while the other one would be exclusive to DAZN on Saturday night. Bellator recently signed a five-year broadcast deal with the subscription streaming service, which plans to launch in September. The first DAZN-only card for Bellator will include Gegard Mousasi vs. Rory MacDonald, Rampage Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva IV, plus a welterweight tournament quarterfinal matchup.

Fedor knocked out Frank Mir in his quarterfinal showdown in April, giving him his first win under the Bellator banner. Sonnen bested Rampage by decision to kick off the tournament in January. Meanwhile, current Bellator LHW champion Bader knocked out Muhammed Lawal in 15 seconds in May, while Mitrione eked out a split decision over Roy Nelson in February.

More details on the tournament dates and venues will be revealed in the coming weeks. Chicago is currently in the running to host Emelianenko vs. Sonnen.

Source:https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/7/2/17528468/bellator-president-scott-coker-fedor-sonnen-bader-mitrione-targeted-october-mma-news
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”