Nate Diaz in serious talks for August return

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Nate Diaz in serious talks for August return

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri May 04, 2018 1:41 am

By Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani May 1, 2018

For the first time in a long time, Nate Diaz appears close to returning to the UFC.

According to multiple sources, the promotion has recently presented Diaz with multiple top-5 lightweight opponents for a fight this summer, and Diaz has expressed interest in returning at UFC 227 on Aug. 4 in Los Angeles.

Diaz, according to sources, wants to be on the card and is interested in at least one name presented to him, though, sources would not confirm who that is at this time.

One thing is clear, though: Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor haven’t been discussed as potential opponents, which leaves Eddie Alvarez, Dustin Poirier and Kevin Lee as options. Second-ranked Tony Ferguson is currently rehabbing his surgically-repaired knee and would not be ready to fight in August.

Alvarez and Diaz have a history dating back to when Alvarez beat Diaz’s friend and training partner Gilbert Melendez in Mexico City.

At this time, talks have been described as productive and ongoing, though, no deal is done. Money isn’t a stumbling block right now for Diaz, sources say, it’s just a matter of agreeing on an opponent he’s interested in.

“He’s not just looking for Conor,” Diaz’s long-time training partner Jake Shields said on Monday’s episode of “The MMA Hour.”

“He’s looking for a fight that makes sense and that’s going to give him a big payday and a lot of hype.”

News of the talks was first reported by ESPN.com.

Diaz, 33, hasn’t fought since August 2016 when he lost via majority decision to Conor McGregor. There had been brief talks of him fighting UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley in December, but those talks never materialized

This appears to be the best shot fans have had in a while to see one of the sport’s most popular fighters return to action.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/5/1/17308024/ufc-nate-diaz-in-serious-talks-for-august-return
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm

If I were Nate Diaz I don't think I could see any fight but the rubbermatch with Conor.

Diaz-McGregor III is the big big money fight, anything else wouldn't even compare imo, why wouldn't he be gunning for that?

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri May 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Masato wrote:If I were Nate Diaz I don't think I could see any fight but the rubbermatch with Conor.

Diaz-McGregor III is the big big money fight, anything else wouldn't even compare imo, why wouldn't he be gunning for that?

- I disagree. He is a charismatic guy. Would be a far bigger brand and selling millions of ppw if he followed fighting instead of taking a break.

And he is a ninja. Ninjas always bring views.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”