Jake Shields released by the UFC

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
glenrod

Jake Shields released by the UFC

Postby glenrod » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:57 am

I guess it was only a matter of time for jake and fighters like him after the fitch debacle, he is 4-1 in his last five though (depending on how you view the NC). SO is it a good thing that the UFC is apparently cutting fighters for boring performances, or do you guys think that the result of the "fight" should be all that matters?

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 am

- I think the result of the fight should matter more.
If the case is simply putting shows to the audience, they can simple change of MMA to pro-wrestling.
I don't think a promoter should have says in the way a fighter fights.

If they want more show, they should remove this stupid thing of losing 3 in a a row fights and gettin fired.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

glenrod

Postby glenrod » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 am

See, im kinda split, I think the end result should matter more than anything, but when you have a fighter who is as consistently boring as shields then you have to draw a line somewhere. I agree with keeping some fighters who lose 3 in a row too, fighters can and have bounced back from worse. I think mark hunt had a 6 fight losing streak or something, now look at him

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:17 am

glenrod wrote:See, im kinda split, I think the end result should matter more than anything, but when you have a fighter who is as consistently boring as shields then you have to draw a line somewhere. I agree with keeping some fighters who lose 3 in a row too, fighters can and have bounced back from worse. I think mark hunt had a 6 fight losing streak or something, now look at him

- A fighter shold desenvolve a way to beat Shields, or Fitch( I liked Fitch, sad to see he lettin go), instead they simple put some expeculations.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 pm

One thing that has always appealed to me about mma is that it is the contest of absolute victory. If someone is a better boxer than you you can use your other attributes and in the end it boils down to who is the best in absolute terms. I feel like when you cut a boring fighter when he goes 4-1 you are now creating a bias towards entertainment. So in a sense mma is becoming a contest of who is the best fighter-entertainer hybrid.

Fisticuffsmanship

Postby Fisticuffsmanship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 pm

Luigi wrote:I feel like when you cut a boring fighter when he goes 4-1 you are now creating a bias towards entertainment. So in a sense mma is becoming a contest of who is the best fighter-entertainer hybrid.

Exactly, the UFC and most other promotions with staying power base match making and fighter cutting decisions on entertainment value in fighting style and personality more than merit. MMA is a sport, but the UFC books it like entertainment. The business model is based on ppv buy rates and key demographic ratings. Whether you like guys such as shields/fitch/okami doesn't matter, their style doesn't sell to a broader audience. Chael gets title shots (UFC record 6-5) and Fitch gets cut (14-3-1 in UFC). Fans clamor for the UFC to sign Conor McGregor who's charismatic and has an exciting style, and no one seems to care when they pass on Ben Askren who many consider a wet blanket.

I don't consider this good or bad, it just is.

Return to “Super Dojo”