My Crappy Blue Belt Notebook

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
evil-kungfool

Re: My Crappy Blue Belt Notebook

Postby evil-kungfool » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Masato wrote:2. If someone is passing from the same position (underhooking 1 of your legs, fall sideways and gable-grip his near leg. Hold on to this and LET HIM FINISH THE PASS - as he gets his other leg free, you swing that gable grip over your face and roll everything over including him. It doesn't end up in a very stable position, but its better than conceding the pass and you are in a much better place than your opponent for a quick dogfight for position

Interesting. Never seen it. You bridge into him to roll him over?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 pm

evil-kungfool wrote:
Masato wrote:2. If someone is passing from the same position (underhooking 1 of your legs, fall sideways and gable-grip his near leg. Hold on to this and LET HIM FINISH THE PASS - as he gets his other leg free, you swing that gable grip over your face and roll everything over including him. It doesn't end up in a very stable position, but its better than conceding the pass and you are in a much better place than your opponent for a quick dogfight for position

Interesting. Never seen it. You bridge into him to roll him over?

No, you roll AWAY from him, but you take that leg with you via the gable grip. If you take the leg, his whole body follows and you both dump down on the other side. Its not pretty but the guy was saying it was working for him and usually wins the dogfight afterwards

I should try to make some drawings of this stuff one day

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:04 pm

more of the turtle escape/option and attacks from there (kimura trap etc) we did a nice stack pass to lead into the turtle escape.

Also drilled this cool trick where from mid-knee-through pass, you can post an arm over opponent's shoulder, and use it to spin the OTHER WAY, (step back, turning 180) to grab for the kneebar.

He suggested to go in for the knee through, but sort of let opponent block it. Then try again, and again, keep repeating the knee through then surprise him on the 3rd try with the flip to kneebar

This was no-gi btw. No-Gi is fun, I should do more

we did almost 3 hours, then I took my son to the skatepark for another 3 hours. Surprisingly I actually skated the whole time. did better than I expected, I was scared of it and expected to quit early but we had some fun. Great day of exercise

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:34 pm

before I forget:

If someone has De la Riva guard, one of your sleeves, and is stretching you out with the other leg on your leg (horrible position to be in, lol):

1. non-trapped arm/hand on the inside, pinning his hip.
2.You may not be able to break the sleeve grip with one hand, but you can circle your hand around, grab HIS sleeve and pull the whole works in tight.
3. With the leg that is being stretched, pop his foot off with a knee-turn inwards, then post if way out as to table his leg.
4. with sleeve-grip hand, push his DLR knee down and knee-cut in.
5. when your knee is down, reach/club his neck/head, and PULL IT IN. secure a deep grip/shoulder pressure
6. tight backstep and secure side control

This is typical of Cobrinha's style, my coach and higher belts are experts at this sort of methodical pressure-passing. It feels so helpless, lol you are so fucked and they keep advancing position bit by bit while you can't do nuthin :D Its a good game for me because if I do things right I don't need a lot of strength or explosiveness to make it work

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:40 pm

wow learned some great things today

I need to practice all of them, didn't really get a chance to drill well enough but I think these could be game-changers for me.

1. New ways to frame/recompose if you get leg-dragged -
A) try to get the foot on him, chest preferably, but then put you own hand on that knee, and the elbow of that hand on the ground and it makes this crazy strong frame you can use to recompose
B) if he passes too far there is a way you can post with a wide elbow that makes it impossible for opponent to turn or fold you over

These are terrible descriptions but like I said I need to practice more before I feel I can describe it well

2. if you are passing and are in half-guard, opponent may try to dive in to grab your front leg, either to get to deep half, or other things. To keep him away, just post your hand behind his head and walk the fingers up to pry his upper body away from reaching your leg. Its surprisingly strong, you can totally hold them there. It feels like you may be giving your arm cuz its kind a of a reach but I was explained that opponent's hips are the wrong way and they can't really take it from there.

big stuff, as I get in these positions a lot. Those frames looked so cool, so simple. Gotta remember and do them again soon. Tomorrow I go get murdered in the evening class, lol

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Draw pictures, your descriptions suck
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Canuckster wrote:Draw pictures, your descriptions suck

- This.

I dont get boss. Youre a artist, you can draw. You drawn a lot of naked dongs in your drawing class, but cant see to be botered with drawing a jiu-jitsu figure. :mrgreen:
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”