Fedor Emelianenko vs. Frank Mir set for Bellator 196

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Frank Mir set for Bellator 196

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 pm

By Alexander K. Lee @AlexanderKLee Jan 22, 2018,

Two of the heavyweight division’s all-time greats will finally meet.

On Monday, officials announced that the Bellator Heavyweight World Grand Prix opening round matchup between Fedor Emelianenko and Frank Mir will take place at Bellator 196 on April 28 at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill. The event will air live on the Paramount Network.

This is the third scheduled bout in the tournament to crown a new Bellator heavyweight champion. Chael Sonnen kicked off the opening round with a unanimous decision win over Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at Bellator 192 this past Saturday, while a rematch between Matt Mitrione and Roy Nelson has been scheduled for Bellator 194 on Feb. 16.

The remaining Grand Prix opening-round fight between light heavyweight champion Ryan Bader and Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal is expected to be booked for later this year.

Emelianenko (36-5, 1 NC) fell to Mitrione in his Bellator debut last June, losing by knockout in a 74-second slugfest. That snapped a five-fight winning streak for the 41-year-old Russian, who put together a 28-fight unbeaten run from 2001-2010 before losing three straight bouts to Fabricio Werdum, Antonio Silva, and Dan Henderson.

“The Last Emperor” retired in 2012 before returning three years later and recording back-to-back victories against Jaideep Singh and Fabio Maldonado.

A former UFC heavyweight titleholder Mir (18-11) has not fought since a KO loss to Mark Hunt in March 2016. Following that bout, Mir, 38, tested positive for banned substances, which resulted in him receiving a two-year suspension from the USADA. He has lost six of his last eight fights.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/22/16920462/fedor-emelianenko-vs-frank-mir-set-for-bellator-196
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:54 pm

I am curious for this fight as well

Always a Fedor Fan!!!!!

[spoiler]

Would be very sad to see him lose this one, even though I kind of like Frank Mir

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:56 pm

This tournament is wild, I don't get why they are staggering the fights though. They should have each bracket round in the same night, no?

Why would they do this?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:59 pm

OK so Sonnen moves forward.

I'll pick Fedor to beat Mir, which makes Sonnen vs Fedor in the semis
I'll take Fedor

On the other side I'll predict Nelson and Bader advance.
Nelson vs Bader in the semis
I'll take Bader

FINALS: Bader vs Fedor FEDOR BY KO

:D :D :D

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:45 pm

Masato wrote:This tournament is wild, I don't get why they are staggering the fights though. They should have each bracket round in the same night, no?

Why would they do this?

- Its to avoid that the competitors get hurt and they have to bail ou of the tournament!

I like Barder, would be a cool guy to win the tournament.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”