Fight calendar and discussion

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Canuckster

Re: Fight calendar and discussion

Postby Canuckster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:05 pm

People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:35 pm

King Mo vs. Liam McGeary re-booked for Bellator 211 in Hawaii

By Nick Baldwin @NickBaldwinMMA Sep 18, 2018

An important light heavyweight bout has been added to Bellator’s first trip to Hawaii.

Muhammed Lawal will meet former promotional champion Liam McGeary at the event, Bellator president Scott Coker announced Monday on Twitter.

Lawal and McGeary were expected to square off at Bellator 185 last October, but “King Mo” was forced out of the bout due to an injury.

Lawal is coming off a 15-second knockout loss to current 205-pound champ Ryan Bader in the opening round of Bellator’s ongoing heavyweight grand prix. Before that, the former Rizin FF heavyweight grand prix champion hadn’t fought since March 2017, when he beat Quinton Jackson in a rematch.

Most recently, McGeary fell to rising contender Vadim Nemkov via third-round TKO at Bellator 194 earlier this year. Riding a two-fight skid, the Brit hasn’t won since a February 2017 doctor’s stoppage TKO of Brett McDermott. McGeary is 1-3 in his last four outings.

Bellator 211 takes place Dec. 15 at Neal S. Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. In the main event, women’s flyweight champion Ilima-Lei Macfarlane defends her belt against UFC veteran Valerie Letourneau. Also on the card, former UFC champ Lyoto Machida makes his Bellator debut against former middleweight titleholder Rafael Carvalho.

Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/18/17872128/king-mo-vs-liam-mcgeary-announced-bellator-211-hawaii-light-heavyweight-mma-news
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:08 pm

UFC Sao Paulo’s Renan Barao stills dreams about reclaiming belt: ‘My time will come again’

Former UFC bantamweight champion Renan Barao hasn’t given up on his dream of winning the belt again.

By Lucas Rezende @rezenluc Sep 19, 2018

Former UFC bantamweight champion Renan Barao hasn’t given up on his dreams just yet. Although the 31-year-old has seen better days in his UFC, with just one win in his last five outings, the current bad phase didn’t stop the Brazilian from thinking about becoming a champion once again.

In fact, as Barao makes the final preparations for his bout against Andre Ewell at UFC Sao Paulo, he tells Combate he completely changed himself as a fighter and will be a new athlete when steps into the Octagon on Saturday night.

“Surely I still think about the title,” Barao said. “Every fighter’s dream is to fight for the belt. I’m still young, I’m sure my time will come again. I was focusing on something that held me back during the fight, something I didn’t use to do I tried to change, but it ended up being bad for me. So we took a step back, we tried to improve.”

“I think I’m going to be a completely different Renan Barao. I always had a good head on my shoulders. What happened was that I just wasn’t getting lucky in my fights. I was harming myself in the nutrition aspect, but I always had a good head. I always came to fight, my goal was to always get a knockout or submission, that never changed.”

UFC Fight Night 137 takes place in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on September 22, with the main card on FS1. The card will be headlined by a light heavyweight bout between Thiago Santos and Eryk Anders.

Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/19/17879508/ufc-sao-paulo-renan-barao-dreams-reclaiming-belt-title-mma-news

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:11 am

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Thiago Santos ‘felt really well’ at 205 lbs, wants Jimi Manuwa fight in December

UFC Sao Paulo’s Thiago Santos talks about his successful light heavyweight debut vs. Eryk Anders.

By Mookie Alexander @mookiealexander

Thiago Santos’ first foray into the UFC light heavyweight division was a successful one, as he took Fight of the Night honors on his way to a third-round TKO finish of fellow middleweight veteran Eryk Anders. While Anders plans to move back to middleweight, Santos assessed how his body felt at 205 and how it particularly affected his cardio and punch resistance.

“Anders is not a light heavyweight,” Santos said at the UFC Sao Paulo post-fight press conference (via MMA Fighting). “[This fight] was more for me to feel what it’s like to make 205 pounds. I felt really well. I got tired but it’s normal to get tired in a fight so intense like that. I felt well and conscious of what was happening. I felt power in my punches but I was a little bit slower. So I’ll sit down with my coaches and see what’s going to be done.”

“Even though my punches are heavier, I feel I was more resistant,” said Santos. “I took some hard punches and I didn’t feel them. At middleweight, due to the weight cut, and not being able to recover 100 percent, I am a little bit fragile. At middleweight, I was knocked out by [David Branch], who isn’t a knockout artist. He landed a punch and I was really upset by that.”

“Today, [Anders] landed a cross, he landed some heavy blows and I didn’t feel it. So that’s good, too. So not only are my punches stronger, but I’m more resistant. So there’s a lot at play. We have to see the good and the bad and see which pass we’re going to take.”

Santos was originally scheduled to face Jimi Manuwa on Saturday night, but Manuwa withdrew due to injury and was replaced by Anders. While Santos hasn’t fully committed to a permanent move up to LHW, he does want to at least get that Manuwa fight rescheduled.

“I hope that [Manuwa] recovers well,” said Santos. “I hope to meet with him in December so we can fulfill the contract that we signed.

“I want to fight at 205 against a guy that’s bigger than me like Manuwa so I can feel the pressure from a heavier guy. To see if I get punched by that guy and I change my mind and go back to 185 or step up. So, we’ll see.”

“Marreta” has won six of his last seven fights, with only current middleweight c ontender David Branch able to defeat him since the start of 2017.

Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/23/17893098/thiago-santos-felt-really-well-205-lbs-jimi-manuwa-fight-december-ufc-news

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:02 am

Paulo Costa and Thiago Santos seem like the future of Brazilian MMA.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Jose Pedraza title unification set for December 8th on ESPN

Vasyl Lomachenko’s return to the boxing ring will be the same night as UFC 231.

By Mookie Alexander @mookiealexander Sep 25, 2018

Vasyl Lomachenko’s next fight will be the first title unification bout of his already spectacular career.

The reigning WBA lightweight champion is set to fight WBO champ Jose Pedraza at the Hulu Theatre in New York City on Saturday, December 8th, per the Los Angeles Times. Originally, Lomachenko’s return was scheduled for December 1st in Los Angeles, but ESPN preferred to have him compete the following week, with the college football Heisman Trophy presentation serving as a lead-in to the Top Rank card, just like last year when Lomachenko fought Guillermo Rigondeaux. According to the report, the ESPN telecast will start at 9 PM ET/6 PM PT.

Lomachenko (11-1, 9 KOs) is coming off a sensational 11th-round TKO win vs. Jorge Linares in May, becoming the fastest man (in terms of number of pro fights) to win major world titles in three different weight classes. That fight also marked the first time Lomachenko had been knocked down in his pro career, but he battled back for the finish. Lomachenko fought that bout with a torn labrum, and underwent surgery that prevented him from competing in late August as initially targeted. The 30-year-old Ukrainian phenom is considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world.

Pedraza (25-1, 12 KOs) once held the IBF super-featherweight title, but the Puerto Rican lost that belt to Gervonta Davis by knockout. Promotional issues sidelined him for more than a year before Top Rank signed him to a deal, and he’s fought three times in 2018. After getting two decision wins, Pedraza faced off against WBO 135 lbs champion Ray Beltran in Beltran’s adopted hometown of Phoenix, Arizona, and dethroned Beltran with a unanimous decision victory, including an 11th round knockdown. Known for a very effective jab, Pedraza will have a sizable 5 1⁄2 inch reach advantage over Lomachenko, although the skill gap is clearly in Loma’s favor.

The winner of this fight will have two of the four major titles at 135 lbs, with Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs) in possession of the WBC and IBF titles. Calls for a Lomachenko vs. Garcia showdown in 2019 would grow even stronger if Vasyl were to prevail.

It is expected that the co-main event will feature a title defense for WBO super-bantamweight champion Isaac Dogboe (20-0, 14 KOs), who has been one of the breakout stars of 2018. Dogboe scored an upset TKO win over Jessie Magdeleno in April to win the WBO title, then the Ghanaian starched veteran Hidenori Otake in just one round back in August. Lightweight prospect Teofimo Lopez (10-0, 8 KOs) is also slated to be on that card, making for a potentially stacked tripleheader that evening.

Between UFC 231 and Lomachenko, December 8th looks to be a busy but exciting night of fights for combat sports fans to look forward to.

Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/25/17899740/vasyl-lomachenko-vs-jose-pedraza-title-unification-december-8th-espn

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:31 am

Fury To Wilder: My Wife Pushes Harder Than That, You Little B*tch

https://www.boxingscene.com/fury-wilder ... ch--132338

Things are heating up!

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Erick Silva injured, withdraws from Bellator 207 debut vs. Lorenz Larkin

By Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz Oct 1, 2018

Lorenz Larkin needs a new opponent for Bellator 207.

The one-time welterweight title contender was slated to meet Erick Silva in Uncasville on Oct. 12, but the Brazilian fighter has been forced out of the bout due to a rib injury, Silva confirmed to MMA Fighting following a report by MMAjunkie.

Silva (20-9, 1 no-contest), who signed with Bellator less than four weeks ago, is hoping to make his promotional debut later this year after recovering from a fissure in the rib cartilage.

“I ended up injuring my rib during a sparring session at Team Nogueira,” Silva told MMA Fighting. “I felt a lot of pain right away, I thought it was fractured. I went straight to a hospital to get a series of exams done and they noticed it wasn’t fractured, only injured.

”I was hopeful that I wouldn’t need to leave the card, but doctors won’t allow me to train for 30 days until they give it another look. So I can’t stay on this card, unfortunately. I was pretty upset, but I hope to recover as soon as possible to be able to make my Bellator debut this year.”

”I was hopeful that I wouldn’t need to leave the card, but doctors won’t allow me to train for 30 days until they give it another look. So I can’t stay on this card, unfortunately. I was pretty upset, but I hope to recover as soon as possible to be able to make my Bellator debut this year.”

Larkin (19-7, 1 no-contest) hasn’t fought since January, when he scored his first Bellator victory against Fernando Gonzalez. It’s the second time in a row that Larkin has his opponent switched for the welterweight grand prix alternate bout.

“The Monsoon” left the UFC after going 4-1 over his last five bouts, including wins over Santiago Ponzinibbio, Jorge Masvidal and Neil Magny, but lost to Douglas Lima and Paul Daley in his first Bellator appearances.

Bellator 207 takes place at the Mohegan Sun Arena and features Ryan Bader vs. Matt Mitrione in the main event.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/1/17926542/erick-silva-injured-withdraws-bellator-207-debut-lorenz-larkin

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:09 pm

John Makdessi vs. Diego Ferreira announced for UFC 231

By Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz Oct 4, 2018

Canadian lightweight John Makdessi will get home turf advantage for the fourth time in a row on Dec. 8, as he meets Diego Ferreira at UFC 231 in Toronto. The promotion officially announced the pairing Thursday.

Makdessi (16-6) has wins over Ross Pearson and Abel Trujillo and a loss to Lando Vannata over his last three fights in Canada and looks to score his 10th UFC victory in December.

Ferreira (13-2) is coming of back-to-back wins in the Octagon, a decision over Olivier Aubin-Mercier in 2016 and a quick knockout victory over Jared Gordon in his first post-suspension bout in February.

Headlined by Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega for the featherweight championship, UFC 231 will take place at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/4/17936188/john-makdessi-carlos-diego-ferreira-ufc-231

Return to “Super Dojo”