Fight calendar and discussion

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: Fight calendar and discussion

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Sting interview

Growing up with his dysfunctional family:

“My mom tried to get us to go to church on Sundays and my Dad didn’t want to have anything to do with it and we didn’t want to go to church. We wanted to go to the lake, we wanted to go to the beach, we didn’t want to live by a set of rules, so we thought. We kind of rebelled against the whole church thing and it was just a few pocket of times that I can remember being in Sunday school as a kid with my brother and my sister was really small, Mark was probably an infant at the time. We just rebelled against it. We turned into young adults and got through high school and part way through junior colleges and big universities, but no one ever got any degree or anything like that. We all loved each other, we were all very close, but very dysfunctional. It’s like you couldn’t be around each other for very long.”

Meeting Hulk Hogan without knowing about his star power:

“When I grew up, where I grew up in Southern California, we did not have pro wrestling on TV. I didn’t know what it was. I ended up in my early young adult years co-owning a Gold’s Gym in San Fernando Valley with a guy named Ed Connors who was the treasurer of Gold’s Gym in Venice Beach. I managed the gym and I ended up being partners with him and this big big dude with blonde hair would come in and work out and the gym would freak out and say, “Oh my gosh, don’t you know who that is? It’s the guy from the Rocky movie! That’s Hulk Hogan!” I go, “Okay, I know the Rocky movie and I know that guy, but I don’t know who Hulk Hogan is!”

Confessing his infidelity to his wife and finding God in the process:

“I confessed everything to my ex-wife. I was honest and truthful. It was horrendous, it was one of the worst moments of my life watching her life blood just come out of her almost, it was just horrendous. God at that point, I said, “Okay, I have given God lip service,” I literally said this prayer, “I’ve given you lip service, oh Lord.” And I had, nothing was real to me. It was like, wave your magic wand and fix everything. He doesn’t care about working with people like that, not from the outside in, but from the inside out. First he wanted my heart, and he never had my heart because it was only lip service until finally August of 1998 when I realized there’s no amount of money, no amount of power, no drug, no woman, no man, no doctor, nothing, nothing is going to fix this horrendous deep dark despair and I have messed lives up everywhere and I cannot fix this on my own. I need some supernatural and I said, “God, I surrender my life to you. Jesus Christ come and live inside my heart.” So that’s what happened to me in August of 1998 when I was at the very peak of my career. Muscle relaxers, pain relievers, alcohol, women, a lifestyle, even language that comes out of my mouth, everything changed radically overnight, and I was watching friends die from this kind of lifestyle over the years.”

What made him not go to WWE at first:

“Number one, WCW would always give me what I asked for. I knew that the commitment that I would have to make with Vince was being gone a lot more, a lot more time on the road, a lot more time away. With WCW at the time, I was able to kind of tailor make my schedule to something that I could tolerate and something that was easier for my family at the time. Financially they always gave me what I wanted, but I was really close to leaving on a few different occasions and I was ready. If WCW didn’t give me what I wanted, then I was willing to take that risk and go to WWE. One of the other reasons why I never did, I always talked about this as well, I at the time-and I still don’t know if it’s accurate or not, but I thought that Vince wanted me as a talent to undermine WCW more than he wanted me as a talent working for him.”

His reaction when he finally came to WWE:

“I was shocked at how everyone treated me. I met the entire PR department up there in the big building in Connecticut. I went up there and met everybody and everyone-it wasn’t false, it was real. The enthusiasm, I mean everybody was just pumped to have me there and I felt pretty secure about it. They treated me well and Vince has been nothing but respectful and good to me all these years. By the time I ended up coming up there, he was the same way. When I went up there the first time, he wanted me to come in and say hello to him. He even wanted to produce and direct a lot of my spots that I did.”

If he is done wrestling or not:

“Yeah, I’m really done. I mean my neck doesn’t bother me at all. For the first couple of months after the match, I had an ache that would go down to the left side of my neck and down into my left trap. It was like a dull ache that was just there all the time and it was hard to sleep. I don’t have any side effects, any trouble so all I know is the neurosurgeon said, “You are so lucky there wasn’t a catastrophe that happened.”

I got to be careful and it’s sad too because even at my age I feel like I could still go, I could still have a real good Undertaker match for example. We could tell an incredible story with both the chemics and the mystique of both of them. I’ve had these ideas for 20 years, some of the ideas I have in my head. It would be something that people would talk about for a long time, but I’m satisfied. I’m happy with the way things turned out. I did have my WWE run, it was short, but I had one. I did WrestleMania, I wrestled Seth Rollins, I wrestled for the WWE World Title, so I can’t complain.”

Read more at http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/ne ... 2Lvlw5X.99
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Scott Coker: Bellator ‘would love to talk’ to Eddie Alvarez if able

By Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi Aug 13, 2018

One of Bellator’s first champions and biggest original names could soon be available. And that promotion would certainly consider bringing him back.

Bellator president Scott Coker told Luke Thomas on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour that he would be interested in chatting with Alvarez when he’s able to engage in dialogue legally. Most UFC contracts have a window after they expire giving the UFC exclusive rights to negotiate.

“I don’t think we’ve talked to Eddie, but listen, if he wants to reach out and have a conversation and he’s truly a free agent and we’re not interfering in anybody’s contract, we would love to talk to him,” Coker said. “I think the guy has done a lot of good work in building his brand here in the U.S.

“Obviously, he’s had some great fights with Michael Chandler here in the past. We want to talk to every free agent out there that’s a big star, and I think Eddie is still a big star.”

Alvarez was the first Bellator lightweight champion in 2009 and held that title until losing it to Michael Chandler two years later in one of the best fights in MMA history. Alvarez regained the Bellator belt from Chandler in 2013 — another classic fight — and vacated it when he signed with the UFC.

The Philadelphia native’s relationship with brass at Bellator was poor — they were involved in a messy lawsuit over his contract status — but that was the previous regime headed by Bjorn Rebney.

Alvarez, 34, won the UFC lightweight title in his fourth fight with the organization and has beaten the likes of Gilbert Melendez, Anthony Pettis, Rafael dos Anjos and Justin Gaethje there. Over the last five years, Alvarez (29-6, 1 NC) has cemented himself as one of the best lightweight fighters of all time. He’s won titles in Reality Fighting, Bodog Fight, Dream, Bellator and the UFC.

In addition, Alvarez fought in the UFC’s first-ever main event in New York City, at Madison Square Garden, losing to Conor McGregor. Alvarez fell to Dustin Poirier by second-round TKO at UFC on FOX 30 in the final fight on his UFC deal.

Coker said the free-agent market is not especially hot right now, but Bellator is keeping its eyes open. The promotion has lured Gegard Mousasi, Rory MacDonald and Lyoto Machida away from the UFC in the last two years.

“There’s somebody here, there’s somebody there,” Coker said. “It’s not like there’s hundreds or even 10s and 20s of athletes. It’s more of, there’s a big star here or a big star here or a medium star there. But they’re out there and we’ve been plucking them away one by one. And we’re gonna keep shopping and we’re gonna keep growing this roster.”

Coker said he’s happy with how Bellator has put together the roster, getting free agents at the top of the card and building up prospects like Aaron Pico, AJ McKee, Ed Ruth, James Gallagher and more.

“This roster looks nothing like it did four years ago,” Coker said. “It’s a much different fight roster than we had. It’s something we’re proud of and it’s not easy to do. But I think we’ve got a good handle on it.”

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/13/17684220/scott-coker-bellator-would-love-to-talk-to-eddie-alvarez-if-able

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Ben Nguyen vs. Wilson Reis targeted for UFC Adelaide

By Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz Aug 13, 2018

A flyweight showdown between Ben Nguyen and Wilson Reis is in the works for UFC Adelaide on Dec. 1, sources confirmed following a report by Combate.

The UFC Fight Night card will take place at the Adelaide Entertainment Center in Australia.

Nguyen (16-7) looks to rebound from third-round submission loss to Jussier Formiga in February that snapped a two-fight winning streak over Geane Herrera and Tim Elliott. “Ben 10” is 4-2 in the UFC and 10-2 over his past 12 bouts.

Reis (22-9) is a former title challenger who finds himself in a must-win situation after losing three in a row in the Octagon. He was finished by Demetrious Johnson and Henry Cejudo prior to a decision defeat to John Moraga.

The UFC has yet to announce a headliner for the event.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/13/17686838/ben-nguyen-wilson-reis-targeted-ufc-adelaide

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Cheick Kongo to face Timothy Johnson at Bellator 208

By Alexander K. Lee @AlexanderKLee Aug 15, 2018

When Timothy Johnson makes his Bellator debut, it will be against a fellow UFC veteran.

Johnson meets Cheick Kongo in a heavyweight bout at Bellator 208 on Oct. 13 at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, N.Y. MMA Fighting confirmed the bout with officials following an initial report by ESPN.

This will be Johnson’s first fight outside of the UFC since October 2014. The 33-year-old alternated wins and losses in his seven UFC appearances, picking up wins over Marcelo Golm, Daniel Omielanczuk, Marcin Tybura, and Shamil Abdurakhimov. Johnson is 12-4 as a professional overall.

Kongo, 43, is currently experiencing the best stretch of his 17-year career. He has won six straight fights, a run that includes a June 2015 unanimous decision win over current UFC heavyweight contender Alexander Volkov. A longtime competitor in the UFC himself, Kongo will bring a 28-10-2 professional record with him when he faces Johnson.

Bellator 208 is scheduled to be headlined by a Heavyweight Grand Prix semifinal bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Chael Sonnen.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/15/17696296/cheick-kongo-to-face-timothy-johnson-at-bellator-208

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Alan Patrick vs. Scott Holtzman booked for UFC 229

By Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz Aug 16, 2018

A lightweight showdown between Alan Patrick and Scott Holtzman was added to UFC 229 in Las Vegas, sources confirmed to MMA Fighting following a report by Combate.

UFC 229 is scheduled for Oct. 6 at the T-Mobile Arena and features 155-pound champion Khabib Nurmagomedov defending his crown against former two-division champion Conor McGregor.

Patrick (15-1) is riding a three-fight winning streak over Damien Brown, Steven Ray and Damir Hadzovic. The 35-year-old fighter holds a 5-1 record inside the Octagon.

Holtzman (11-2), who won four of six since his UFC debut in 2015, looks for his third victory in a row after defeating Michael McBride and Darrell Horcher in 2017.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/16/17697854/alan-patrick-scott-holtzman-ufc-229

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Big boxing event today at 4pm est:

In Belfast for the fights Deontay Wilder confronts Tyson Fury at the weigh ins:

After this Deontay went to Nandos to get some food, but then Billy Joe Saunders showed up to crash the party and threw half a chicken at Wilder before chaos erupted lol Lots of videos on facebook and twitter.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Tomorrow Dave Leduc defends the Lethwei openweight title vs Diesellek, the former Rajadamnern champ.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:20 pm

- Finishing Summer Slam. The NXTtakeover was great. Summer Slam is being better than last Wrestlemania. Samoa Joe vs Aj Styles is awesome. EC3 vs Velveteen Dreams and Ricochetevs Adam Cole where great matchs at NXT.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:20 am

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Gray Maynard to fight Nik Lentz at UFC 229

By MMA Fighting Newswire Aug 20, 2018

Two of the UFC’s most experienced fighters will face off at UFC 229.

Gray Maynard meets Nik Lentz in a lightweight bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Oct. 6., per the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Between the two of them, Maynard and Lentz have a combined 39 bouts inside the Octagon.

This will be Maynard’s first fight at 155 pounds since April 2015. A two-time UFC lightweight title challenger, the 39-year-old Maynard made his last three appearances at featherweight, going 2-1. Most recently he defeated Teruto Isihara by unanimous decision at The Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale to improve his professional record to 13-6-1 with one no contest.

Lentz (28-9-2, 1 NC) has also spent time at both featherweight and lightweight, though he has competed at 155 pounds in his last five bouts (including one catchweight bout where his opponent missed weight). He is 3-2 during that stretch.

Maynard and Lentz made their UFC debuts in 2007 and 2009, respectively.

UFC 229 will be headlined by the return of Conor McGregor as he challenges Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight championship.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/20/17762564/gray-maynard-to-fight-nik-lentz-at-ufc-229

Return to “Super Dojo”