Frankie Edgar aiming to return in March or April to fight Max Holloway

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Frankie Edgar aiming to return in March or April to fight Max Holloway

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm

By Alexander K. Lee @AlexanderKLee Dec 11, 2017

Frankie Edgar is recovering from an orbital injury that knocked him out of a featherweight title opportunity vs. champion Max Holloway, and he’s optimistic that they can make that fight happen soon.

“The Answer” was in attendance at UFC Fresno this past weekend, and he managed to sneak in a conversation with Dana White in regards to where he stands in the contenders’ line once he’s healed up.

“He said we’re just figuring out - this is after this weekend’s fight - we’re just waiting to see what’s next,” Edgar explained on Monday’s episode of The MMA Hour. “I think March or April sounds good, so one of those dates I imagine we’ll set it up.”

Edgar was also asked if he took any offense to White recently expressing his bewilderment at how Edgar could get hurt ahead of such an important fight, and the former lightweight champion didn’t sound bothered in the slightest.

“I don’t think he was questioning my toughness,” Edgar said. “I think he meant more like I shouldn’t be getting hit like that so I could get a broken face, you know what I mean? I think that’s what he was getting at, that’s what he kind of conveyed to us at least.”

The UFC does not currently have any events officially scheduled for April, but UFC 222 takes place in Las Vegas, Nev., on March 3 and Edgar mentioned that date as a logical one for the Holloway clash. He added that he (and his friends and family) would be excited about traveling to Hawaii, Holloway’s home turf, and challenging the champion there should the UFC ever schedule a show in the islands.

Holloway authored his first title defense at UFC 218 in a rematch against Jose Aldo, Edgar’s replacement, making him 2-0 against the featherweight legend; in comparison, Edgar twice challenged Aldo during the Brazilian’s lengthy championship reign and both times he came out on the wrong end of a unanimous decision.

At just 26 years old, Holloway has already built up an impressive resume and Edgar believes that “Blessed” is living up to the hype.

“I think he’s all that he’s cracked up to be and the fact that he’s so young and keeps getting better every fight is scary almost,” Edgar said. “But that also motivates me. I still feel like I’m at the top of my game. Max is the future, but I’m still here, I’m the present and I want to get this title shot and get what’s mine and become a two-weight champion. That’s been my goal since I came down to ‘45.”

One potential wrench that could be thrown into Edgar’s plans is the sudden emergence of unbeaten submission artist Brian Ortega. The California-native submitted veteran Cub Swanson in the main event of UFC Fresno and while Ortega himself refused to make any bold claims to a title shot, the impressive performance planted the seed that he could be in championship bout sooner rather than later.

Edgar praised Ortega, but he’s glad that the fast-rising fighter is respecting the current pecking order.

“He’s got a good following, he’s finishing guys, yeah he might be ready, but as long it’s after me that’s all I care about,” Edgar said.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/11/16763282/frankie-edgar-aiming-to-return-in-march-or-april-to-fight-max-holloway
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”