Where MMA and Pro Wrestling Intersect

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Garrbanzzo

Where MMA and Pro Wrestling Intersect

Postby Garrbanzzo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 pm

I follow both really closely so I tend to come across topics that intersect both MMA and Pro Wrestling (mostly WWE)

The value of a Championship belt:
UFC: In a recent media conference call Michael Bisping dismissed the inaugural Flyweight Champion fight between Detritus Johnson and Joseph Benavidez saying that his fight with Brian Stann was the real main event. Damon Martin of MMA weekly in his radio show agreed (found here: http://www.mmaweekly.com/mmaweekly-radi ... ara-mcmann).

WWE: Conversely in Pro wrestling podcasts that I listen to there is a strong contingent that feels that their belts are not held in high enough regard.

The intersection is in the way the Champs are crowned and promoted. In both industries the promoters must build up champs and challengers to sell PPVs. While WWE has the luxury of scripting the story for both Champ and Challenger the UFC does not.

All in all, I find that the ultimate binder between any one on one contest (scripted like WWE or real sport MMA, Boxing, even Tennins) is the fact that you must build both champs and challengers in smaller events to make money on the biggest of stages.

Return to “Super Dojo”