Discuss your most recent training

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: Discuss your most recent training

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:20 pm

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:05 am

Canuckster wrote:If you never trained GI and have a purple, you don't actually have a purple and should be wearing a white belt for now. You'll likely progress quickly though.

Kind of a grey area there. I've got tons of experience, and will only get subbed by Black Belts. Does not knowing proper collar chokes, the scissor sweep and pant-grabbing passes really put on par with the first-year White Belts?

I get that giving up the belt is an exercise in humility, but what if I'm not really loyal to the said Dojo? I come from another background and am simply paying to be able to continue training.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

evil-kungfool wrote:
Canuckster wrote:If you never trained GI and have a purple, you don't actually have a purple and should be wearing a white belt for now. You'll likely progress quickly though.

Kind of a grey area there. I've got tons of experience, and will only get subbed by Black Belts. Does not knowing proper collar chokes, the scissor sweep and pant-grabbing passes really put on par with the first-year White Belts?

I get that giving up the belt is an exercise in humility, but what if I'm not really loyal to the said Dojo? I come from another background and am simply paying to be able to continue training.

- I agree with you thats is a grey area. You get blue-belts that train like pros here. They can match black-belts and would only get beat by another competitor.
You also get guys that only train on Gi that cant match persons in No-gi on the same time of experience!

Same with taekwon-do, you get competitros with 3 year of training that can beat black-belts with a decade of experience, but sometimess dont have the same broad range of technique.

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:35 am

^ Very true. I've been absolutely smoked by Purple Belts 3-4 times, but then find out they're Gold-Medal competitors or are training full-time. I've been mauled by hefty Judoka who shouldn't have been able to scarf-hold me.

The only lesson I can draw is that Blets aren't everything. They're more like an expression of value from the Gym. In some places, a spotless competition record earns you a belt, in some it's about remembering all of the steps and details of techniques just the way the instructor shows them, in some it's about never losing to a lower belt, in others, showing up on-time and having a good attitude matters most.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

I recently did my first Aikido lesson

Very fun and interesting. A deceptive art... easy to rip on at first glance, but I think there is much that is likely surprisingly effective, especially against untrained opponents. One of the teachers is a bouncer, a purple belt in BJJ and a lifetime of other martial arts, and through all that experience he still has tons of respect for Aikido and trains it tons, says it has worked in several real life situations. That should say something imo

The 2 teachers were both really solid, hard to move but when they step in you are going for a ride, lol I even got to do the 'multiple attackers' thing, lol

Plus its just really fun. I can see why people like it. I will stick to BJJ though.

I still say the best MA for real life street is probably just straight up boxing.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Every martial art has techniques that are real world effective
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Canuckster wrote:Every martial art has techniques that are real world effective

- This!
Comon boss. You think youre inside a Sega Dreamcast when training? :mrgreen:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 am

evil-kungfool wrote:

You may not know some collar chokes, etc... this may be a minor hole in your game but can you also defend them? How are you at breaking grips? If someone has your sleeves and sticks a spider guard, can you get out?

I am still just an early blue but my suspicion is that the difference between gi and no gi are probably quite vast.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:33 am

Masato wrote:
evil-kungfool wrote:

You may not know some collar chokes, etc... this may be a minor hole in your game but can you also defend them? How are you at breaking grips? If someone has your sleeves and sticks a spider guard, can you get out?

I am still just an early blue but my suspicion is that the difference between gi and no gi are probably quite vast.

This

Gi and no Gi are a massively different game, good wrestlers and strong athletic guys can wear you out and hold you down and wittle away at you, but do you know the curriculum? No, you likely have a good solid grasp of the basics. It takes nothing away from your ability but still doesn't mean you have as deep a toolbox.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 am

You guys are both right. Grip breaks are extremely weak. I manage to not get collar choked but just by cross-grabbing my own collar, no special understanding there. There are some missing pieces.

I guess I didn't put myself in the 'Athletic Wrestler' overcompensating with attributes category because I roll more like a lazy Eduardo Telles. However, I now realize that I'm probably compensating with other abilities like Timing, Trickery and Unorthodox behavior. Sloppy Drunken Kung Fu on the mats has gotten me pretty far, but it also might cause me to plateau.

Love the Gi for the Butterfly Sweep though. I've been following BJJ Scout's Adam Wardzinski Study / Gameplan and it's working like a charm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2JCG5kuJ5Y

Return to “Super Dojo”