Win or lose, Dan Henderson says he will retire

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Win or lose, Dan Henderson says he will retire

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:47 am

After fight against Michael Bisping

By Jed Meshew@JedKMeshew on Jul 25, 2016

MMA legend Dan Henderson says his title bout with Michael Bisping will be the final fight in his illustrious career.

This is the last ride for a true legend of MMA.

On the weekend of UFC 200 Dana White confirmed the heavily rumored fight of Michael Bisping defending his middleweight championship against Dan Henderson in a rematch from their famous fight at UFC 100. Many suspected that should the fight take place, it would be the last stand of the former two division Pride champion who turns 46 in August. Yesterday in an interview with Severe MMA's Niall McGrath and Petesy Carroll on the Talking Brawls podcast, Henderson confirmed that, win or lose, this would indeed be his final MMA bout.

"That is my plan, win or lose I'm ready mentally to retire. My body could still probably go another two, three years but I've put it through enough. I'm ready to take it a little bit easier, but still be involved in mixed martial arts doing something a little bit different than fighting."

Henderson has been fighting in MMA since 1997 and is one of the most accomplished fighters the sport has ever seen. He won the Pride middleweight and welterweight championships, he was the last ever Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, and even won a UFC middleweight tournament back at UFC 17. Before that he was an accomplished Greco Roman wrestler, representing the United States at the Olympics twice, first in 1992 and then again in 1996. He almost qualified again in 2000 but was beaten in the finals of the trials by Matt Lindland who went on to win a silver medal. All told, Henderson has spent the last 25 years in gruelingly intense sports and now he says it is time to hang it up and be with his family.

"That's a big part of it. It's all they've ever known, I've been fighting for so long, before my kids were born. So they've sacrificed things as well...it'll be nice to be able to plan vacations further in advance from now on and spend more times with my kids and not having to be too tired and having to conserve my energy to go out and do things with them because I'm training."

Read the rest at the link http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/25/12267802/morning-report-win-or-lose-dan-henderson-says-he-will-retire-after
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”