MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Fingers getting Wrecked... (BJJ)

Postby Masato » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Hey all

1. Recently turned 40
2. Avoided most manual labor jobs during my life/have artists' hands
3. first time doing a lot of gi work (previously I did mostly no gi)

4. My fingers are getting all fucked up.

especially one of them, my right middle finger. How am I gonna flip people off double diaz-style?

Any advice? I learned how to tape them, but as I'm lookin at the dude's hands who's showing me I'm thinking its no so inspiring, lol

Is this normal with BJJ? Do fingers get stronger, or just more continually fucked up?

exercises?

thx

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Masato wrote:Hey all

1. Recently turned 40
2. Avoided most manual labor jobs during my life/have artists' hands
3. first time doing a lot of gi work (previously I did mostly no gi)

4. My fingers are getting all fucked up.

especially one of them, my right middle finger. How am I gonna flip people off double diaz-style?

Any advice? I learned how to tape them, but as I'm lookin at the dude's hands who's showing me I'm thinking its no so inspiring, lol

- Avoid doing grips on gi, pretend that your opponent isn`t using one, you probably can do some gi grips that are comfortable, i presume that you can grip the pant`s, but your hand hurt like hell grabbing the lapel right?

Buy a pair of those squeeze balls

I`ve got hand grips, but i feel that squeezing balls is more efficient. (No romo)

Is this normal with BJJ? Do fingers get stronger, or just more continually fucked up?

- It`s common in grappling and pretty prevalent in GI grappling.

Are you sure that your work isn`t one of the causes and only got agraved by or coincided with you training on a GI?

You can take Chondroitin or glucosamine, but some people question their effcient.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:45 pm

suck it up buttercup

after a while your fingers will adapt, they will get messed up from time to time, but when you say fucked up, do you just mean pain or are you getting swollen joints or something else?
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

robbstar

Postby robbstar » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:17 am

I have fractured the middle joint on two fingers and snapped the ligaments? /tendendents? What ever they are on 4 fingers. Just no gi, only done gi a few times, too slow!! Bought a karate gi entered a BJJ comp, first time in a gi, got my ass handed to me Hahaha maybe one day, I will take it up again. No gi is where the heart lives.

On a training note Make a dummy, fire it in a cheap ass gi and practice your grips. The shaolin guys that do the one finger hand stands etc end up with huge deformed fingers. The body adapts!! Simple as.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Canuckster wrote:suck it up buttercup

after a while your fingers will adapt, they will get messed up from time to time, but when you say fucked up, do you just mean pain or are you getting swollen joints or something else?

Yeah I'm hoping they get stronger/trying to think this way

My last middle finger joints were getting really swollen, but I took a few days off they are getting back to normal again. They are also both crooked when I bend them in, were never like this before

Mostly they just fucking hurt, and feel like they're gonna break, lol
feels shitty.

I'm gonna get some kind of grip toy.

Edge's advice to avoid grips will not work, everything I am learning is using grips and gi's - a good grip for sure tightens a lotta shit.

What I need to learn I think is to be more sensitive when opponents try to break them, and to let go a little quicker. What I think is fucking them up is when people are ripping it quick out of my grips, and it torques all the fingers.

Just a shitty by-product of jiu jitsu I guess. Like I said I hope more training will make em stronger, I don't like the idea of having fucked up mangled fingers before I'm 80

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Well, to be fair, you've never had a physically demanding job that would have strengthened your hands, and you have a fairly easy job, so this is likely double strain for you.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:31 am

^ that may be true but try drawing for 12 hours straight and tell me if your hands don't hurt :D

I personally take pride in the fact that I've managed to avoid heavy work most of my life, lol.. I've had a few hard gigs before, always preferred to hunt & score the funner ones

Oddly, I remember back in the day when I was doing more no-gi, I'd get a lot of comments that my grip was strong, never understood how that was

Today is no-gi, they'll get a break from all that gi-grip shite, lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:09 pm

My grandfather had the strongest/toughest hands I ever saw.

They were so leathery and callused they looked permanently dirty, it looked like you couldn't cut or puncture the skin if you tried

Flying Eye Angle

Postby Flying Eye Angle » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Is normal. Went from MMA and years of other stuff to using the gi for the first time last year and it was jacking my fingers up also. I think over time Ive learned not grab the gi so hard all the time when I dont need to. I grapple kinda nogi-ish now unless I know what Im doing with a grip. They're still a little funny sometimes but not nearly as bad as they used to be

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Yeah, no need for death grips when you don't need them

Return to “Super Dojo”