Changes at my BJJ Club (Kids class)

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Canuckster

Changes at my BJJ Club (Kids class)

Postby Canuckster » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:59 pm

You know your kid, do what you know will be best.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am

Yeah, go with what the teacher and wife says. No reason to get lil' kids into weight-cutting which is fucking bullshit anyway.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:03 am

Yay for lil' Masato!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:39 am

OK update to the story:

1. I said nothing about weightclass to my kid. I didn't even care to find out which one he was in. His coach said 'don't even make it an issue', and that made sense to me. Whatever they did about it was obviously well done because all his opponents were pretty equal in size. His 3rd opponent was a bit smaller, but then again imo he put up the most fight

2. The Dad of the prodigy kid I just found out was also upset about the rule change. I met him sitting in the lobby and we spoke a bit, he clearly didn't like it. However all seemed fine at the tournament a few days later, we were all together as a team I sensed no friction. Either they worked it out, he had a change of heart, or they decided to leave it till after the event. I don't know. At this point its none of my business, I just find it interesting as they've been training this kid together for 7 years, and dojo politics I have found to often be very petty. I just hope this doesn't hurt anyone, I like all parties involved.

3. The other dads and I got along great. I knew one of them from before, but not very well. We talked lots of interesting things in the car, all went out for dinner, and spend most of the day together at the tournament and then back home and I had a really great time. One of them turned out to be a really deep MMA fan, knew all his shit and was part of the Jeff Joslin/Carlos Newton days back in the late 90's, some good stories he told. The other dad has lived all over the world, has tons of fascinating tales of living in Libya, Indonesia, and told of growing up in Slovakia under communism, and when the wall broke etc. Then it kind of degenerated on the ride home and we talked about Star Wars, lol. That's when the Slovak fell asleep.

I didn't even have any weed on me, lol

Great weekend

Return to “Super Dojo”