My Son is Doing His 1st BJJ Tourney Tomorrow...

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

My Son is Doing His 1st BJJ Tourney Tomorrow...

Postby Masato » Sat May 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Hey all

My 7-year old is going to a big tournament tomorrow, his first one.

We went a few weeks ago to one just watch & see what he thought (Coach's advice). He dug it and said he wanted to try.

He is getting pretty good at jitz but has not felt tournament intensity. Obviously lots of holes in his game (he'll do well on top, but maybe not from bottom (?) also takedown experience is weak). He is also inexperienced going 100%, because as the smallest in his class there is no one to really match him properly physically. There is 1 new boy but my son is more experienced so its not much challenge.

Its also new for me as a parent, I never went to BJJ tournaments. I was never a competitive person/never did competitive sports, so its all fresh to me too. I did one 'In-House' BJJ tournament at a club I once trained at, but that's it.

I am trying my best to play this right as a parent, teach him sportsmanship etc. He is not scared or worried at all, and I'll try to keep it that way.

But I can't deny I'm super fuckin stoked and excited/nervous about it! lol

I really have no idea how he will do. There are 18 kids in his division.

All I really hope for is that he leaves with a smile on his face and was happy with the experience.

Wish us luck!
I'll post some photos or maybe a video if I can figure out how the frack to do that

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sat May 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Very cool. Good luck!

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat May 02, 2015 3:49 pm

good luck to the little man, hope he has fun,
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun May 03, 2015 10:25 am

- Tell him to have fun.
face the competitions just like another day in training, having a game plan that impose his strenghts.

And when his uncles make fun of him in the case his lost, you should punch then in the mouth.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun May 03, 2015 1:05 pm

We're back

He got Bronze! (basically last place, lol - they separated his division into groups of 4 so the kids could all 'place'. I thought this was nice/wasn't expecting it)

I think he got a pretty tough draw, all the kids he faced were really quite good/obviously experienced. One kid looked too big to me but oh well.

I'm SUPER proud of him though, he was a warrior;

First match he hurt his hand/fingers. But he finished the match, shook hands like a sport and waited till he was off the mat and then come some tears. He had 6 minutes to get it together for his second match, which he did. Very cool 2nd match, he lost but was close; he has some sweeps, got mount a few times, took the back.

3rd match he got a pretty good headbutt to the lip. I saw it happen and cringed, but he fought out the whole rest of the match, and again waited till he was off the mat to let some tears out.

Pretty intense for him I think, he never grappled 100% before with anyone. Plus out of 3 matches he gets hurt in 2 of em.

Yet he stuck around and got his medal and went hope feeling pretty good. Came home and showed the medal to his mom and friends, I think he just learned TONS/grew up.

I'm not gonna say shit about another tournament unless he asks.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm

That's awesome, congrats to your boy. These are the things that help him build his character. Good on him.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon May 04, 2015 11:19 pm

Best of his matches:
(my son is in the blue gi, and no that's not a girl he's matched with)

Watch for the big headbutt at 3:15

Return to “Super Dojo”