Just (re-)Signed up for BJJ..!!

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Just (re-)Signed up for BJJ..!!

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Hey all

I finally got the courage to get my ass back to class. Its been maybe 3+ years of being too busy/nursing injuries/making excuses....

But my body feels pretty good right now, all my injuries feel OK. Plus I recently discovered that the club my kid goes to has a LOT more options for classes every week than I thought, so it suddenly looks more possible to find a couple days a week to grab a session.

I'm older and stiff, not in the best of cardio, but I've been eating well and am at a healthy weight. Hopefully they don't have too many UFC goons to beat me up to bad, lol

I'm super excited but nervous too... the last time I tried to get back into training I realized I had basically forgotten 90% of whatever I used to know, and got injured in less than 2 months.

Any tips/advice are welcome. My plan is to take it slow and gentle, not expect too much - just for fun and exercise/wellness

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:11 pm

The club doesn't have a website but I just found a blog:

http://lifevsjiujitsu.blogspot.ca/2014/ ... ening.html

He's a brown belt under 'Cobrinha' Rubens Charles Maciel... A young kid but at like 24 he built his own dojo, its quite impressive. Also his jits it really cool and more fluid than the styles I had previously learned, I think it will be fun.

There is a kid in my son's class who is 12 and is slaughtering his age group, someone to watch out for. I think he has a chick in the UFC but I am not sure, I may have met her yesterday I'll try to get more info.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Nice. Have your heard of Parabellum MMA? Its not far from your area and my brother trains there, along with a few guys in the UFC(Josh Hill and that guy who fought Barao).

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:14 pm

^ no but I just looked it up, sounds cool

I am not looking for MMA though, I just want some casual BJJ. MMA training is brutal, man..!

The club I joined is 5 mins away and is super convenient. The last club I trained (Pura BJJ) was great, but was like 40+ minutes away and it was getting tiring/difficult, especially with rush hour etc. Parabellum is about half an hour each way with any traffic, maybe more.

We'll see how this goes, there is another school that opened very close... I should have checked it our before I made my choice but its my kid's team and they've been good to him so I like to support.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Cant go wrong with 5 mins away lol thats awesome.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Luigi wrote:Nice. Have your heard of Parabellum MMA? Its not far from your area and my brother trains there, along with a few guys in the UFC(Josh Hill and that guy who fought Barao).

ive been there, was not impressed by the jits

edit, nice club tho, good place to train mma.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:46 pm

say hi to dr ed for me when you see him.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:47 pm

also, awesome news man, hope you stay with it, i miss it, havent been able to go much since last summr when work went bonkers.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 am

The universe is already conspiring against me, lol:

Was PSYCHED to go to class, had a shower, got the ol' gi out of the closet... and...... NO BELT!

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY BELT??? lol

Now I have to go buy a new super-stiff and ultra-bright noob white one that will keep coming undone every 3 minutes.

I guess that's karma though, I am really starting from the beginning again in many ways. Maybe this will help put me in my proper place lol

Just pissed I couldn't go on my first class back. Running out to FightPlanet this morning.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 am

Masato wrote:The universe is already conspiring against me, lol:

Was PSYCHED to go to class, had a shower, got the ol' gi out of the closet... and...... NO BELT!

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY BELT??? lol

Now I have to go buy a new super-stiff and ultra-bright noob white one that will keep coming undone every 3 minutes.

- You can use a esparadrapo, i don't know the english therm:

- They are gonna untie according to the type of fabric, some types of fabrics, some fabrics even get stink when you wash them.

I guess that's karma though, I am really starting from the beginning again in many ways. Maybe this will help put me in my proper place lol

Just pissed I couldn't go on my first class back. Running out to FightPlanet this morning.

- Good luck!
The beautifull thing about individual sports and martial arts is that nobody can make the walk for you.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”