MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Bas and Rogan Discuss BS Martial Arts

Postby Masato » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 am

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 pm

- I like the competition aspect of martial arts, even if one don't compete, training at a competition focused school will make progress.

Like saying a technique is tested, but is tested by another person but not me, how can i know that i can apply without trying?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 am

My son is 7, and he wants to try a BJJ competition. His coach says he's ready, but I and a parent of a very tournament-experienced kid is not so sure. (He's still very small - technique is OK for his age but he's never really felt 100% before, it will be a whole different world/he doesn't really use his full strength yet)

There is one at the end of next month, I think we will go just to watch and cheer for his teammates and he can see what its all about.

I personally loathe competition, but agree 100% it can/does build character and teaches a person a lot about themselves. I did a BJJ tourney once just to prove to myself that I wasn't afraid of it

I zenned right the fuck out and won 1st place (was a local white belt tourney, nothing prestigious, but a significant personal test for me at the time). I know I can do it now, preparing, staying focussed, staying calm etc. That was good enough for me

How I deal with them as a Dad if my son enjoys them will remain to be seen, lol. (I am already going too far with the 'it doesn't matter if you win, its how good of a sport you are' etc stuff)

penxv

Postby penxv » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Grade school wrestling tournaments were a very formative experience for me. One on one competitions and tournaments were very illuminating as to what it takes to be successful.
That being said, it wasn't all rosy. I used to make myself physically sick the night before competitions with nervous energy and anxiety. I was pretty good, but the guys with "crazy wrestling dads" and the guys that wrestled year round were always the most dominant.
I wouldn't push him into it but if he wants to do it I think it's a good idea to let him try it out.

penxv

Postby penxv » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Was probably around 9 when I started but didn't start winning with any consistency until 10 or 11.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:04 am

I started doing Judo at six, greco at 8, boxing at 13-14. Then TKD for 2 years. After that Zhoo-zitsu, MT and Pancrase/ ZVale Tudo. Played basketball from 8-16 (my dad was a coach, I SUCKED) and alon the way hockey, handball, football (soccer). The ONLY time I ever felt stress or anxiety is after I LOST in combat jew jitsu because of a fucking HOLD... I had mount on the guy and he held my neck. I was just chilling, not realizing that it was considered a "pin" FUCK it still pisses me off. I don't value my fights in that sport at all but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Now I'm gonna watch MT!

Return to “Super Dojo”