Trust Cultures

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Trust Cultures

Postby Masato » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:51 pm

This vid has kind of rattled my head.

I can vouch for this, and not just once or twice.
I have been up on ski mountains many many times and never ever had anything stolen. I leave my board and bindings out on the racks with 1000 other sets of skis and boards and happily walk inside for lunch without a thought. Come back, the board is still there, back to the lifts. I never used a lock, saw anyone stealing, saw anyone complain they had their stuff ripped off.

Even inside, hundreds of strangers, I used to work all summer long to save up to buy the best gloves I could get (our winters were cold AF), and I'd just leave em there on the table while I go to the washroom and oh guess what they're still there when I get back.

This is (or was) ski culture in Canada, or at least in BC.
I've been out of the scene for over 20 years now, so I don't know.
But looking back, boy did I take that for granted. For me it was normal, I never thought about theft.

Is that bizarre? Or is that the way things SHOULD be? Is it not proof that if Humans can get our shit together, this sort of trust in one another is possible? How have we become so cynical to find this surprising? Most of the people in ski gear in the video dont seem to be.

Anyways it got me thinking about cultures of TRUST, vs cultures of MISTRUST.

Whenever I go to Brazil for example, everything is gated and locked and protected to what seems coming from ski culture a total paranoid nightmare lol

Return to “Anarchy Zone”