Anyone interested in a group fitness challenge?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Vutulaki

Re: Anyone interested in a group fitness challenge?

Postby Vutulaki » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:01 am

What am I misssing here/.

Anastasios

Postby Anastasios » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:10 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:
Anastasios wrote:Som Pong, here:

Notice how I lift my elbows back and up, and shoulderblades retracted, so that I have a nice sheath for the bar to sit in.
Any tips on elbow/wrist placement when doing front squats? I can never get it right. Any mobility exercises to get elbows up in front like that?

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Lol wrong person to ask. I don't have that kind of mobility either. With front squats I either do voodoo front squats (arms and hands straight ahead) or I grip with 1-2 fingers only, as you can see with the back squats.

Anastasios

Postby Anastasios » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:12 pm

Anastasios wrote:
Vutulaki wrote:

Notice how I lift my elbows back and up, and shoulderblades retracted, so that I have a nice sheath for the bar to sit in.

For the record I already said this on the prrevious page just without the fancy youtube video

For some reason my comment wasn't in the post. I tried to write: You are correct however you said externally rotate shoulders, that is the opposite, that's internal rotation.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:41 pm

Anastasios wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:

Any tips on elbow/wrist placement when doing front squats? I can never get it right. Any mobility exercises to get elbows up in front like that?

Lol wrong person to ask. I don't have that kind of mobility either. With front squats I either do voodoo front squats (arms and hands straight ahead) or I grip with 1-2 fingers only, as you can see with the back squats.

Gotcha. I was thinking of switching over to front squats instead of putting that much weight on my spine. I guess I could do the cross arms grip where I cross my arms in front of my neck, my hands on the opposite shoulder, and rest the bar on my front delts.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:05 am

Anastasios wrote:For some reason my comment wasn't in the post. I tried to write: You are correct however you said externally rotate shoulders, that is the opposite, that's internal rotation.

External rotation is away from the body internal is toward the body (the position of the body relative to the limbs being the constant)

up and back during a back squat for the elbows would therefore be external right? or am I not getting this?

Anastasios

Postby Anastasios » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:27 am

Diet Butcher wrote:
Anastasios wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:Any tips on elbow/wrist placement when doing front squats? I can never get it right. Any mobility exercises to get elbows up in front like that?

Gotcha. I was thinking of switching over to front squats instead of putting that much weight on my spine. I guess I could do the cross arms grip where I cross my arms in front of my neck, my hands on the opposite shoulder, and rest the bar on my front delts.

If your back is tired from all that, try some belt squats. If your gym has a belt squat machine then great, otherwise just stand on some plates, attach a chain to your belt to some weights and squat it. Minimal compression of the spine.

Anastasios

Postby Anastasios » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:31 am

Vutulaki wrote:
Anastasios wrote:For some reason my comment wasn't in the post. I tried to write: You are correct however you said externally rotate shoulders, that is the opposite, that's internal rotation.

External rotation is away from the body internal is toward the body (the position of the body relative to the limbs being the constant)

up and back during a back squat for the elbows would therefore be external right? or am I not getting this?

From the POV of turning your head to the right and looking at your extended right arm: if your arm rotates counterclockwise, that's internal rotation, if your arm rotates clockwise, that's external.

Anastasios

Postby Anastasios » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:48 am

Although in this case with the squat, make sure you notice that you want your scapula retracted. Lifting elbows up just helps add pressure to keep scapula tight. It is not the same as saying lift elbows up and internally rotate and then let your scapula protract with shoulders pushed forward, that will make you lose tightness in the upper back.

Some say push your elbows back and down, that is just wrong, even if it comes from elite lifters youtube videos. Many times they do low bar squats so they do this, which only gives you a small temporary mechanical advantage but strains shoulder joint a lot.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:49 am

Internal rotation (or medial rotation) refers to rotation towards the axis of the body. External rotation (or lateral rotation) refers to rotation away from the center of the body?

Anastasios

Postby Anastasios » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:46 pm

Vutulaki wrote:Internal rotation (or medial rotation) refers to rotation towards the axis of the body. External rotation (or lateral rotation) refers to rotation away from the center of the body?

Yes and this can be confusing. What they mean is twisting the humerus in towards the front of the torso (clockwise for left arm) is internal = it is rotating inwards. Twisting towards the back (clockwise for right) = it is rotating outwards.

If your hand is on your hip and you push your elbow to the front, that's internal rotation. If your hand is overhead (abducted) and you push your elbow to the front, that's external rotation.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”