IRELAND roadtrip

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
penxv

Re: Anyone been to IRELAND?

Postby penxv » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:32 am

I want to go to Achill at some point. It's supposed to be very pretty but completely barren.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:53 pm

penxv wrote:I want to go to Achill at some point. It's supposed to be very pretty but completely barren.

I'll add it to a list of places to possibly check out. I figure with the 3 spots I booked + 2 days at each spot we should be able to see almost anything outside of N Ireland

Didn't mention this is also a research trip for the next screenplay I'm writing.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:54 am

Used to live in the southern city of Cork. Last time I was there was in the early 90s before it became the "Silicon Valley" of Europe. The 4 main cities to visit are Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway. I don't think I've ever been to Galway though. Maybe you can do a drop in at SBG Dublin?

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:22 pm

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:24 pm

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:46 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:Used to live in the southern city of Cork. Last time I was there was in the early 90s before it became the "Silicon Valley" of Europe. The 4 main cities to visit are Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway. I don't think I've ever been to Galway though. Maybe you can do a drop in at SBG Dublin?

That's cool man. I ALMOST went to University of Cork for a year. When I was 18 or so I caught wind of some student exchange program where a student from my uni and a student from Cork uni could switch for a year. I filled up all the applications and in my head thought I was actually going to live in Cork but then I found out there were a lot more fees than I thought and I couldn't afford it. But for a short time it was a reality, lol I was dreaming of meeting Irish lasses lol

I just switched one of the VRBO nights for a night right in the heart of Dublin on the last night. I like to get away from the cities but the missus also likes city nightlife a lot.

I'm so stoked man I've always had visions of Ireland, several of my most favourite songs are Irish, some notable people in my life that were a big influence etc. I'm even writing a screenplay that partially takes place there so to finally go I think will be very strange.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:48 pm

I just realized last night that they drive on the left side of the road there. I've rented a car for a week lol

Has anyone ever done this? How hard is it to switch the brain and reverse everything?
wow that's gonna feel goofy lol

Do I need a special license? I better look into it. Seems hard to believe they just let people on the roads without ever having driven on the left before

another reason to get out of the cities, imo :D
wish me luck

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:53 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:

How can there be so many accents when you can drive the whole fuckin island in a day?? lol

The relativity of distances I think is weird from a Canadian perspective. Aside from Quebec, where I live you can drive for days and not see much change in culture.

My brother in Victoria also noticed this; on the island, 20-30 minutes driving is a big deal, a bit of 'traffic' and they think its huge lol. In Ontario we are used to driving 45min-1hr easily for lots of trips, and HEAVY traffic is normal at the wrong hours of the day.

Ireland is so small but I suppose before cars it would have felt much bigger, different towns and accents much further away

Ah, the past :(

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:29 pm

That accent vid is very funny btw :D

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:47 pm

I've a bit of Irish in me....among other things. A Great_____Grandfather immigrated from Cork County. He married a Native Indian woman in USA and lived as part of the tribe and their offspring remained living/marrying as part of the tribe until some years/generations later, Trail of Tears and all that.....eventually people mixing more.....migrations, mixing and here I am :)

this is all documented and I am a documented blood-tribal member, and I won't give out any more personal info than that. There are a lot of cultural similarities between the Celtic-Peoples and Native American Peoples and so there seemed a natural mixing when these peoples came together.

That spirited "Last of the Mohicans" Theme song captured this blending of these cultures.(my ancestors were all a part of that history captured in that film too)

so I hope to get over that way to Ireland in the future to visit the place where some of my Ancestors came from

here is a beautiful rendition of an Irish tune for this thread:

Return to “Anarchy Zone”