Icelandic hymn sung in German train station

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

Icelandic hymn sung in German train station

Postby Masato » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Edge continuing to make some of the best posts around, on any forum

I know my conspiratology research sometimes gets carried away, I forget how many middle-level people are all just out making things for their own various human reasons, noble or not.

I just find the whole industry/concept of 'pop' culture or the mainstream hollywood entertainment etc a very fascinating thing to ponder; how much of it simply a reflection of the society and our tastes? Or, how much of society and our tastes a reflection of the industry? How much of it is simply profit and ego, and how much of it has grander political purposes in mind? Why is it so hard to find genuine honest talent? Is it impossible when you pass a certain level of $$$? What should be considered the measure of 'success' as a creative artist?

I was excited for a long time about making movies. I wrote a story with high visuals that could only really be done with a budget of 5-10+ million. Then as I aged I started to think what an immense amount of money that is, and what a waste it seems to spend it all on one man's story, when so many have likely better stories to tell.

Since then I have become much more excited about the idea of making a comic/graphic novel from the stories - I never got into comics really growing up, but suddenly it appears as possibly the most pure artform out there. It is often a work of sacrifice, made with little more expenses than the paper and ink. It comes straight from the artist's muse/mind/soul etc and no interference from insane producers etc.

Size of audience is important, but I think I'd rather have a creation of mine touch a small handful of souls, than have a million people see it but don't really give a fuck and it's dumped in the $5 DVD bin by next year.

Same with music, when art becomes OVER-produced it loses its flavour for me. I saw 2 old crusty dudes in a restaurant today rockin out with a flute and a guitar, it was real MUSIC man

(same with the video in the OP - wondering if johnkilo can tell us something more about it or if it was just a cool vid he found)

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:36 am

^Sounds like you could use some good ol' traditional music:

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:01 pm

- You ever tought about writing a book?
Or doing a cartoon?

Comic-book's has everythng because you can do a cinematografic history, just like the first Bob Kane and Bill Finger Batman storys, that used to have that noir movie feelling.
Or the more light hearted ones like Garfield.
And you can try to stay real to your ideals.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Edge, are you asking me or Luigi (or both)?

yes I have thought of writing a graphic novel seriously - I have 3 stories already written, I just need to courage to begin such a monumental task. I am telling myself after Sonnen's War is done (I'm on the last ep now..) I can begin a next and hopefully better project.

I also admire Bill Watterson (calvin & Hobbes) a LOT, and imagine maybe when I a older to make some kind of more light-hearted series. I have a couple stories for potential children't books too.

What I need now is TIME :( work/bills/kids is such a handful

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Luigi - are you part Newfie?

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Masato wrote:Edge, are you asking me or Luigi (or both)?

yes I have thought of writing a graphic novel seriously - I have 3 stories already written, I just need to courage to begin such a monumental task. I am telling myself after Sonnen's War is done (I'm on the last ep now..) I can begin a next and hopefully better project.

I also admire Bill Watterson (calvin & Hobbes) a LOT, and imagine maybe when I a older to make some kind of more light-hearted series. I have a couple stories for potential children't books too.

What I need now is TIME :( work/bills/kids is such a handful

- My question was directed to you.
But you gave me ideia for a thread. :mrgreen:
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Masato wrote:Luigi - are you part Newfie?

Nahh, mostly Ontarian with a bit of Quebecer. The Newfies just happen to be really good at folk music lol

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”