Opinions on audible

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Illuminat3d0ne

Opinions on audible

Postby Illuminat3d0ne » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:41 pm

What's your guys opinion on audible?

I always liked the idea and have listened to a couple audio books and although I don't think I got nearly as much as I do out of reading a book and being able to stop reading to research different things I come upon while reading, the time it took to finish was amazing

Now that my kid is learning to read books I'm thinking very different about this whole thing.
So we were reading with my kid and we hear and audible ad saying listening is the new reading and it hit me like a to of bricks that this whole thing is part of the dumbing down of society

A lot of information is hidden in books that I'm really starting to worry companies like audible are the new book burning, just without the actual burning

If they can get kids to stop reading and just listen, there is so fucking much they could hide and basically recreate history for futute generations

Maybe I'm just too fucking high lol

Thoughts?

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:16 am

I completely agree. One of the reasons I don’t like YouTube videos is that they take way too long.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Illuminat3d0ne wrote:What's your guys opinion on audible?

I always liked the idea and have listened to a couple audio books and although I don't think I got nearly as much as I do out of reading a book and being able to stop reading to research different things I come upon while reading, the time it took to finish was amazing

Now that my kid is learning to read books I'm thinking very different about this whole thing.
So we were reading with my kid and we hear and audible ad saying listening is the new reading and it hit me like a to of bricks that this whole thing is part of the dumbing down of society

A lot of information is hidden in books that I'm really starting to worry companies like audible are the new book burning, just without the actual burning

If they can get kids to stop reading and just listen, there is so fucking much they could hide and basically recreate history for futute generations

Thoughts?

Wow interesting thought I hadn't considered that before. Maybe.

The dumbing down must have started earlier, lol because my attention span for reading is really quite bad :( I can listen for many hours but you're right the time it takes to get through a book is exponentially faster

My wife recently got into audiobooks though, she loves it while driving etc. I guess it depends where and when you have the time to ingest information

Good thoughts though. The dumbing down is for sure real, my old hippy friend still gives me crap for using fluoride toothpaste and drinking tapwater, lol

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm

I drink tap water. Bangkok tap water.
I don’t get how it takes you longer to get through a book than audio, and I’m not a speed reader or anything.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Masato wrote:

Thoughts?

The dumbing down must have started earlier, lol because my attention span for reading is really quite bad :( I can listen for many hours but you're right the time it takes to get through a book is exponentially faster

My wife recently got into audiobooks though, she loves it while driving etc. I guess it depends where and when you have the time to ingest information

Good thoughts though. The dumbing down is for sure real, my old hippy friend still gives me crap for using fluoride toothpaste and drinking tapwater, lol

I thought you had a filter on your sink at home?
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Canuckster wrote:
I thought you had a filter on your sink at home?

I do but the cartridges are way old and I'm too cheap and forgetful to go spend $150 or whatever it is for new ones. Right now I bet my tap water is better than whatever comes through those filters, they're like 3 years old you're supposed to replace every year

I'm terrible, I know. Olde Phuque gets furious with me

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Masato wrote:

Thoughts?

Attention span?
I blame gaming and technology. Lol

Dumbing down?
Also technology. There are so many things kids don't have to think about. For example, my oldest has a bank account and has overdrawn twice already. His excuse, "I didn't know." Well, if you just swipe the magic card.....
I am giving him an accounting book and going to start making him balance his account on paper for a while. Out of sight, out of mind is true.

And my youngest has a hard time reading a clock with hands. And he was in the early years when schools decided they wouldn't teach cursive writing anymore. That, at least, has been reinstated.

And much more...UGH!

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Oh, and do you know how many times I have had to help young cashiers with how much change to give me when I use real money?

It's ridiculous. And sad.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Lol I’ve been on cash only for over a decade. Wouldn’t trust myself with cards.

Illuminat3d0ne

Postby Illuminat3d0ne » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:38 pm

Som-Pong wrote:I drink tap water. Bangkok tap water.
I don’t get how it takes you longer to get through a book than audio, and I’m not a speed reader or anything.

I dunno, I've always been kind of a slow reader, I don't really read fiction too much though, I more read stuff that I can research as I'm going along with the book so that I can fact check and go even deeper into the subjects the books are dealing with

With audio I just don't find it as easy to do that for some reason, I'll start researching and forget to pause the audio so it keeps going and then my head is focusing on the audio and research material it just doesn't get implanted as well I guess is the best way I can describe it

Return to “Anarchy Zone”