Re: Jordan vs Bird

Postby Som-Pong » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:39 am

Ruckus is a wise negro.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:56 am

Found it:

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:43 pm

Bird fan here. Even if you don't have him #1 you at least have to put him at #2. He was so amazing and well rounded and not only had the skills but had the gravitas to play in this league and demand respect. His greatest asset was his mind. Even Kareem used to talk about that with Bird.

I didn't see it posted already but the "Larry Bird Mix tape" was my favorite highlight video;

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:05 pm

Lester Burnham wrote:Bird fan here. Even if you don't have him #1 you at least have to put him at #2. He was so amazing and well rounded and not only had the skills but had the gravitas to play in this league and demand respect. His greatest asset was his mind. Even Kareem used to talk about that with Bird.

I didn't see it posted already but the "Larry Bird Mix tape" was my favorite highlight video;

Exciting vid. touching ending

If he's not #1, who would be #1? Jordan?

I don't know shit about basketball beyond some of these historic HL vids. Maybe times have changed, maybe modern players are smashing Bird/Jordan's records? Are they any in modern basketball that would compare to Bird or Jordan's greatness?

I find this kind of athletic peaking interesting. It is more than just physical prowess, when all cylinders are firing mind body soul, it really does appear like magic.

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:20 pm

I have Bird/Jordan interchangeable but man Jordan was amazing also. Jordan and his Bulls ruled the league for years. It's like the GOAT discussion in MMA. Some say Fedor, some say Anderson, some say GSP....etc. Everyone has their choice and that's what makes these discussions so interesting.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Lester Burnham wrote:I have Bird/Jordan interchangeable but man Jordan was amazing also. Jordan and his Bulls ruled the league for years. It's like the GOAT discussion in MMA. Some say Fedor, some say Anderson, some say GSP....etc. Everyone has their choice and that's what makes these discussions so interesting.

Any names since Jordan or Bird that come close? or have surpassed?

I wonder sometimes about other sports too, are the Gretzkys and Peles of the world still relevant? or have the newer generations produced greater talent and accomplishments?

I don't really follow any sports aside from some combat sports, but find it interesting to observe the Greats of any sport.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:42 pm

Sometimes GOAT is personal favourites/opinion (MMA).

In some sports however, GOAT is raw statistics that would be difficult/impossible to deny (goals scored, points/wins etc)

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:08 pm

Masato wrote:
Lester Burnham wrote:I have Bird/Jordan interchangeable but man Jordan was amazing also. Jordan and his Bulls ruled the league for years. It's like the GOAT discussion in MMA. Some say Fedor, some say Anderson, some say GSP....etc. Everyone has their choice and that's what makes these discussions so interesting.

Any names since Jordan or Bird that come close? or have surpassed?

I wonder sometimes about other sports too, are the Gretzkys and Peles of the world still relevant? or have the newer generations produced greater talent and accomplishments?

I don't really follow any sports aside from some combat sports, but find it interesting to observe the Greats of any sport.

I've sort of gave up on the sport but other notables since them would be Kobe and Lebron. I definitely place Tim Duncan up there with them.

Your comment about watching greats from other sports reminded me of this segment from Vision Quest when they talked about Pele. I'm not a soccer fan but things like what he mentioned would still be thrilling to me. You could jump to the 40 second mark for that conversation.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:17 pm

Yeah my father in law from Brazil tells me about pele a lot.

I know he is biased because he is Brazilian, but I tried to ask him the same question and it was his opinion that no one has ever come close to Pele's greatness and mastery. Like not even close, according to him.

There is a movie I think on netflix (?) about Pele as a kid and how he rose to win the World Cup as a teenager that started his career.
It's pretty good. Nice cinematography iirc

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:23 pm

PS: I just looked up that movie, what a weird trailer :shock:

what does a story about Pele have to do with a kinky romance movie about sniffing panties?

Return to “Anarchy Zone”