Question for Mega

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Question for Mega

Postby Masato » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Hey Mega

I need to call on your musical expertise.

I have finally reached a point in life where I realize I can't keep listening to the same music over and over anymore, lol. I've been listening to the same stuff for over 20 years now and I love them all but I'm actually getting sick of it.

Also going through some mild mid-life crisis/evolution stuff, lol :D My mother recently died, I am preparing for some pretty big personal changes of plans, kids getting dangerously older, and I'm sort of re-inventing/discovering myself as I am beginning to see down the latter half of my life coming. Going through some kind of change here, its good but I don't have a soundtrack yet :D

Problem is I don't know shit about music, and most stuff just doesn't really inspire me.

All the music I liked was always real, unpretentious. Had heart and soul but didn't over-do it or had big egos attached. I like punk rock, Bob Marley, etc. Like I said heart and soul but not pretentious. My wife got me into brazilian music, I like a lot of it the lyrics are always genuine and true.

Lately I got excited about SOUL MUSIC. As cheesy as it sounds, those Guardian of the Galaxy movies kind of triggered my appetite for new music. Most of the songs I liked best were old soul songs by Sam Cooke, Al Green etc. I went on a bit of a bender and discovered lots of badass tunes I remember from tarantino flicks etc. But after a while there was just too many 'get your woman into bed' cheesy romantic stuff and I became disillusioned. I like good love songs but not all the time, lol

SO MY QUESTION:

What could you recommend for me to explore that you think I might dig?

I like songs about real life, I like stories and tales and commentary on real stuff, not complaining about heartbreak or talkin about how badass you are or look at me I'm a fuckin rock star etc. I like down to earth music that inspires me for life, gives me strength to be a better person, family, self, BJJ, career, goals, life and death etc etc

Real man stuff.

Help a musically challenged brother out! :D

thanks

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:38 pm

CALYPSO!!!

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:51 pm

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:21 am

Haha, I had written a long winded post about my own falling out with the mainstream entertainment industry as a sort of tie-in to Masato's Rambo and the Swarthy Hordes thread and how I went searching into the past, and around the world for musical alternatives after my break from the entertainment grid in the mid seventies but....I was logged out. All gone.

But Alex is correct; you can't go wrong with the calypso. We had a fun calypso thread going for a while back at Yoshida-sans.

Socially topical stuff - this one from the 40's is Lord Invader complaining about today's youth and recommending harsher punishment (the old time cat-o-nine) as the recipe to set things right:

*^^^listen to that blazing hot clarinet solo ;)

This one is about a man from Sandy Grande with curvature of the penis coming to visit Might Sparrow's sister...

el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:49 am

Calypso!!!!

More calypsonian penile hijinks:

^^^^more fierce clarinet soloing

el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:50 am

My God this clarinet playing!

el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas