'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain,

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain,

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 am

'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning

Sorce:University of Central Florida

Summary: The adage "Everyone complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it" may one day be obsolete if researchers further develop a new technique to aim a high-energy laser beam into clouds to make it rain or trigger lightning. Other possible uses of this technique could be used in long-distance sensors and spectrometers to identify chemical makeup.

The adage "Everyone complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it," may one day be obsolete if researchers at the University of Central Florida's College of Optics & Photonics and the University of Arizona further develop a new technique to aim a high-energy laser beam into clouds to make it rain or trigger lightning.
Credit: © Maksim Shebeko / Fotolia

The adage "Everyone complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it" may one day be obsolete if researchers at the University of Central Florida's College of Optics & Photonics and the University of Arizona further develop a new technique to aim a high-energy laser beam into clouds to make it rain or trigger lightning.

The solution? Surround the beam with a second beam to act as an energy reservoir, sustaining the central beam to greater distances than previously possible. The secondary "dress" beam refuels and helps prevent the dissipation of the high-intensity primary beam, which on its own would break down quickly. A report on the project, "Externally refueled optical filaments," was recently published in Nature Photonics.

Water condensation and lightning activity in clouds are linked to large amounts of static charged particles. Stimulating those particles with the right kind of laser holds the key to possibly one day summoning a shower when and where it is needed.
Lasers can already travel great distances but "when a laser beam becomes intense enough, it behaves differently than usual -- it collapses inward on itself," said Matthew Mills, a graduate student in the Center for Research and Education in Optics and Lasers (CREOL). "The collapse becomes so intense that electrons in the air's oxygen and nitrogen are ripped off creating plasma -- basically a soup of electrons."
At that point, the plasma immediately tries to spread the beam back out, causing a struggle between the spreading and collapsing of an ultra-short laser pulse. This struggle is called filamentation, and creates a filament or "light string" that only propagates for a while until the properties of air make the beam disperse.

"Because a filament creates excited electrons in its wake as it moves, it artificially seeds the conditions necessary for rain and lightning to occur," Mills said. Other researchers have caused "electrical events" in clouds, but not lightning strikes.
But how do you get close enough to direct the beam into the cloud without being blasted to smithereens by lightning?

"What would be nice is to have a sneaky way which allows us to produce an arbitrary long 'filament extension cable.' It turns out that if you wrap a large, low intensity, doughnut-like 'dress' beam around the filament and slowly move it inward, you can provide this arbitrary extension," Mills said. "Since we have control over the length of a filament with our method, one could seed the conditions needed for a rainstorm from afar. Ultimately, you could artificially control the rain and lightning over a large expanse with such ideas."
So far, Mills and fellow graduate student Ali Miri have been able to extend the pulse from 10 inches to about 7 feet. And they're working to extend the filament even farther.

"This work could ultimately lead to ultra-long optically induced filaments or plasma channels that are otherwise impossible to establish under normal conditions," said professor Demetrios Christodoulides, who is working with the graduate students on the project.

"In principle such dressed filaments could propagate for more than 50 meters or so, thus enabling a number of applications. This family of optical filaments may one day be used to selectively guide microwave signals along very long plasma channels, perhaps for hundreds of meters."
Other possible uses of this technique could be used in long-distance sensors and spectrometers to identify chemical makeup. Development of the technology was supported by a $7.5 million grant from the Department of Defense.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140418141242.htm
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 am

Kinda like cloud seeding.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:25 am

Luigi wrote:Kinda like cloud seeding.

- When they wrote one day, i expect that is like 30 years maximum, and not two century.:)
THis can solve the problem with the dry here in some states of Brasil(seca is dry?)

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Yeah, cuz fuckin with Nature has really done a lot of good so far, lol

With all I've read about geo-engineering, HAARP, and Chemtrails I cannot say I view this favourably.

The philosophy that man is capable of being Nature's master is a very dangerous one imo. Yet the kind of Gnostic roots of the Western Elites who think this shit up is precisely that; that man can become god, and the planet is his dominion to rule and control.

The planet and weather is a self-correcting mechanism. The more we leave it alone, the better it functions.

You can't solve the mess we've made by fucking with it, by fucking with it more. That's how that Jesus painting got all mangled up

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:49 am

Soon all the trees with bow before us!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 am

^ That's what Sauroman thought!

Its the 'sorcerer's apprentice' story imo... Don't start fuckin with things we don't yet understand. No way in hell humans have enough wisdom and knowledge to start controlling/modifying the planet without making an even bigger mess.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:35 am

Masato wrote:^ That's what Sauroman thought!

Its the 'sorcerer's apprentice' story imo... Don't start fuckin with things we don't yet understand. No way in hell humans have enough wisdom and knowledge to start controlling/modifying the planet without making an even bigger mess.

- But what can go wrong?( Isn't like the nature is strong enough to wipe us from there it is?) :D

Return to “Anarchy Zone”