Chinese 'Hugh Jackman' Yunxiang Gao granted bail, ordered to pay $3 million surety

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Vutulaki

Chinese 'Hugh Jackman' Yunxiang Gao granted bail, ordered to pay $3 million surety

Postby Vutulaki » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:22 am

A famous Chinese actor facing aggravated sexual assault charges, who was once referred to in court as "a Chinese Hugh Jackman", has been granted bail.

Yunxiang Gao and television producer Jing Wang, both 35, are accused of sexually assaulting a woman who was working on the production of a television show Mr Gao was shooting in Australia.

It is alleged the offence happened at Sydney's Shangri La Hotel in March.

Mr Gao applied for bail in the NSW Supreme Court yesterday and it was granted by Justice Lucy McCallum this afternoon.

When the judge announced her decision, there were cheers and applause from the public gallery, which was packed with Mr Gao's family, friends, fans and a large contingent of Chinese journalists.

The actor's wife Xuan (Michelle) Dong, a famous Chinese film and television star, was flanked by security guards and surrounded by photographers as she arrived and left court for a second day.

Her husband appeared by video link from Silverwater Jail and said "thank you" after bail was granted.

He has pleaded not guilty to two counts of aggravated sexual assault in company.

In handing down her decision, Justice McCallum said the biggest concern she had was whether or not Mr Gao would flee the country and try to return to China.

"The charges are very serious and would undoubtedly result in a lengthy term of imprisonment if the applicant is found guilty — that is a strong incentive to flee," she said.

"Australia has no extradition treaty with China and if he was to flee he would not be able to be brought back to Australia to face the charges."

To mitigate that risk, the 35-year-old has been ordered to put up a surety of more than $3 million, stay in Sydney ahead of his trial, surrender his passport, report to police twice a day, wear an electronic monitoring anklet, and be subject to a night-time curfew.

Evidence 'overwhelming'
The judge said the main issues in the case would be whether the woman consented to have sex with Mr Gao and Mr Wang, and if not, whether the men knew she was not consenting.

She added that her decision to grant the actor bail today "should not be taken as an expression of doubt as to [the woman's] truthfulness".

"The evidence that [Mr Gao] was in the room and that he engaged in sexual intercourse with the complainant is overwhelming."

The court was told the police collected DNA evidence from the hotel room that contained the actor's blood on a doona and semen on a pillow case.

Justice McCallum said the woman did not want to go to police initially but relatives encouraged her to do so.

"My parents and my husband say the men who did this to me are criminal, and I think after discussions it's the right thing to do no matter how famous they are," the woman was alleged to have told police.

The court heard the woman was allegedly approached by Chinese business people and media representatives after Mr Gao and Mr Wang were arrested, and offered money to withdraw her complaint.

"I do not think it can be safely inferred that the request was made on behalf of the co-offenders … they had just been arrested," Justice McCallum said.

"It's possible that persons supporting the co-offenders could have taken it upon themselves to make the approach without their approval."

Even though bail was granted, Mr Gao will have to remain behind bars while his sureties are raised and the electronic anklet can be arranged and fitted.

It is likely he will walk out of prison in seven to 10 days from now.

His case returns to court next month.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:56 am

He's fucked. This female judge is going to nail his ass. The patriarchy is toast in Australia. Bitches run shit down there now.
el rey del mambo

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Ooooh Yeah and thats putting it lightly

I got slammed recently for saying men are generally physically stronger than women at a work dinner. Not in a "Oh you cant say that" way but in a "oh youre obviously ill informed haha check out this idiot" way

They are fucking lucky I dont drink anymore..

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Lol I once clocked a dude at uni over that. Was on the metro with 5 other students and this fat pussy was claiming women are as tough as men, I asked him if he's ever been punched 555

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Som-Pong wrote:Lol I once clocked a dude at uni over that. Was on the metro with 5 other students and this fat pussy was claiming women are as tough as men, I asked him if he's ever been punched 555

What do you think about JP's claims that women in Scandinavia are choosing traditional gender roles in spite of those countries being at the forefront of removing gender roles in the last 30 years?

I think gender roles exist for a reason so he's probably right.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Spot on.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 am

#metoo

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:43 am

Winnson wrote:#metoo

^this cant be real?

tarana-burke

bwzahahahaha she also won a "Shorty Award" for best activist haha short on what? looks? chromosomes?

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 am

Oi vey!

Return to “Anarchy Zone”