The passing of the world's most interesting man - three years ago

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Megaterio Llamas

The passing of the world's most interesting man - three years ago

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 pm

So I decided to look up the old next door neighbor and friend I lived beside for ten years; well it seems he died in 2015. I would look Carol up but I feel like such an ass. Stay in touch with you friends people.
el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 pm

This was the same guy I think I mentioned in the Syria thread at EY's. Those were the American war years of 1995-2005.

RIP Jamie

Vancouver writer and activist fought for justice, decency

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancou ... story.html

The Canadian writing community was shocked by the sudden passing of Vancouver poet and community activist Jamie Reid, at his home in North Vancouver on June 25.

An inspiration to generations of poets, Reid was a proud bohemian living life to the fullest and whose death is a significant loss, particularly to the ranks of the West Coast writers who participated in the legendary Vancouver Poetry Conference of 1963. He was featured in a number of the era’s films, including a 1967 CBC documentary, What Happened Last Summer, and a short film about the inaugural Stanley Park Be-In.

Born 74 years ago in Timmins, Ont., Reid lived in various parts of Canada but was primarily identified with the West Coast literary scene. A co-founder of the TISH poetry movement, along with future Parliamentary Poets Laureate George Bowering and Fred Wah, his first volume, The Man Whose Path Was On Fire, was published in 1967. His 1994 book-length poem, Prez: Homage to Lester Young — a paean to the great saxophonist — was a testament to his lifelong love of jazz. An edition of his selected poems, I. Another. The Space Between., was published by Talonbooks in 2004, the year he and his wife established a household for themselves and two First Nations women with Down syndrome, Leslie Leo and Colleen Sound.

Reid was an activist for various leftist political movements with a wide field of friends. Surrey poet Phinder Dulai recalled: “I once asked Jamie why he had not continued specifically on the path that the TISH poets began; he noted how important it was to be fully engaged in the worker rights movement, and specifically cited people like Darshan Singh Sangha, one of the founders of the IWA and an early activist in the Communist party of Canada.”

Survived by Carol Reid, his partner of 51 years, friends knew Reid as an artist dedicated to literary excellence, whose humanism both created and galvanized communities. He was a fiery orator on justice and decency and embodied the ideal of living one’s dream, forging one’s own mythology, leaving a better world. Those who knew this lion of a man will keep his words and works alive in their memory. We will not soon see his like pass this way again.

The Be In

http://www.vancouverartinthesixties.com/archive/383

http://www.vancouverartinthesixties.com/archive/382

https://vimeo.com/139729985
el rey del mambo

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu May 03, 2018 1:34 am

Back when the left was about something.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Thu May 03, 2018 7:49 am

Som-Pong wrote:Back when the left was about something.

it's sad how we forget, then regret.
el rey del mambo

Rambo John J

Postby Rambo John J » Fri May 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:

hey fellas

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Fri May 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Rambo John J wrote:
Megaterio Llamas wrote:

hey fellas

Hey man. I'll be posting more on here in the foreseeable future, check out the grand chessboard. Lots of good stuff.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Fri May 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Rambo John J wrote:
Megaterio Llamas wrote:

hey fellas

Welcome to the forum John J.
el rey del mambo

Return to “Anarchy Zone”