'Shape of Water' review

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

'Shape of Water' review

Postby Masato » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Hey all

Wife wanted to see this last night, so we went.

Not a bad flick, pretty original and creative. Great art direction.

Here are some thoughts though:

[spoiler]
Its basically a film about bestiality, lol. Its set maybe around 1950's and makes a pretty blatant statement about both racism and homophobia, sort of stirring them together as equal examples of hatred and bigotry. Once they get you on board with that, they drop the bestiality card, lol

Movie could have been done JUST AS WELL imo without making it a sexual relationship. I think if it was just a compassion/friendship/kinship kind of relationship the story would work just as well, if not stronger. But they totally made it clear that the human and the creature are fucking, and that's supposed to be something wonderful, lol

Openly promotes homosexuality, which I have no problem with but again, I saw no reason story-wise to add this so blatantly to the narrative (unless they are making a parallel regarding socially taboo sexual preferences, which is a big leap imo lol). Some advice in the film for gay teens is to "fuck as much as you can".

Several unnecessary nude scenes, sex scenes, masturbation scenes. Again, all of which could be removed and the story would still work 100%. My wife and several (older) people in the audience clearly uncomfortable with it.

There is another scene in the film where characters are smoking cigarettes. One of the lead characters says; 'that's really unhealthy for you', to which they reply; "Yeah, but it FEELS GOOD." The lead character then agrees and they all continue smoking positively for the rest of the film.

I think that line: "Yeah, but it FEELS GOOD" kind of sums up the underlying theme of the film. This is the direction our society seems to moving imo.

On its own, it is a pretty cool film. Great pacing, great acting, wonderful visuals, etc etc.. But put into modern cultural context, and the hard leftist propaganda overflowing from Hollywood, it takes a bit of a different form imo. Anti-racism, OK great. Pro-gay, OK sure. Fine. But bestiality?? really? I swear, we are not far from another wave of hollywood films promoting pedophilia :cry: It is coming. And it will win oscars, lol

How did this film get made I wonder? It's so bizarre. My suspicion is that some of the main reasons how it was produced is precisely BECAUSE it pushes the moral-relativism card, pushes all the 'hate-speech' buttons and moves society even further into acceptance of all personal pleasures and choices. Funny how just 10-20 years ago, producers would advise you to take out those things to widen your audience and avoid the R rating, whereas nowadays I'd be willing to bet that script with these themes actually get preference, or are purposely ADDED to a film, lol If you took it ALL out, I think the result would be a magnificent fairy-tale, a wonderful fantasy film, warm and touching. But all the hardcore left-wing liberal propaganda I find made it into something a lot less-accessible.

Pretty entertaining film though, if you can put your conspiracy-goggles down.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Our man Greenseed dropped a great quote to me when I visited him recently:

"Show me a young person who isn't a liberal, and I'll show you a cold heart. Show me an older person who isn't a conservative and I'll show you an idiot".

LOL, this is still resonating with me. I think its quite true. I would have totally fallen for the leftist propaganda when I was young, but the older I get (parenthood), and the more I am understanding history, politics, society and life in general, I find myself becoming much more grounded in traditional values and drawing clearer lines of spiritual ethics. Short term vs long term payoffs, etc

interesting to watch myself from this perspective

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:12 pm

- Look's like a horrible movie!
Why you do that to yourself, boss?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Masato wrote:Our man Greenseed dropped a great quote to me when I visited him recently:

"Show me a young person who isn't a liberal, and I'll show you a cold heart. Show me an older person who isn't a conservative and I'll show you an idiot".

LOL, this is still resonating with me. I think its quite true. I would have totally fallen for the leftist propaganda when I was young, but the older I get (parenthood), and the more I am understanding history, politics, society and life in general, I find myself becoming much more grounded in traditional values and drawing clearer lines of spiritual ethics. Short term vs long term payoffs, etc

interesting to watch myself from this perspective

the quote is more like...... show me a young man who isn't liberal and i'll show you a man with no heart , show me an old man who isn't conservative and i'll show you a man with no brain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:27 am

^ yeah that's it! nice

That really stabbed me when you first said it, rung in my head for a while, So much truth in there

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:35 am

The more I think about that film the more turned off I am... have you heard the analogy of the boiling frogs? Supposedly if you turn the water temperature up slowly, slowly, slowly, they will not even realize they are being boiled.

Seems to be what has happened to TV and Hollywood, the content now would absolutely shock our parent's generation in their day, and would likely give heart attacks to our grandparents, lol. First crack into inserting bestiality into the public consciousness, and I was there lol

Edge Guerrero wrote:- Look's like a horrible movie!
Why you do that to yourself, boss?

The Missus and I were celebrating our 19th anniversary. We'd just been for an overnighter and I had plenty fun already and she had been wanting to see it. Plus it was either that or go home to manage the kids, lol. The lead actress did have an exquisite ass though I must say

The Anti-Archon

Postby The Anti-Archon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm

If you can dress it up in enough flowery, poetic romance, you can get women to like anything. Period.

Fish dick? Sure, why not.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”