A very peculiar Icelandic Saga

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Luigi

Re: A very peculiar Icelandic Saga

Postby Luigi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Luigi wrote:
Megaterio Llamas wrote:This must have happened due to the advent of the Aramaic papyrus script and the resulting spread of the Aramaic language from it's geographical Syria homeland into Iraq, Central Anatolia and the Levant.

I thinks its more so just that Syria sits at the confluence of many different geographic regions. I wonder how much the spread of Aramaic was simply the utility, and how much of it was that the Assyrians were deporting them all over the place. I always think of what a shame it is that the Aramaic animal skin texts don't survive to tell us more.

Well the captivities certainly had a lot to do with it's spread. Assyria was so swamped by Aramaic speakers that in it's final years practically nobody but Assurite priests and military nobles/soldiers were speaking Akkadian as a first language anymore. I believe Assyria was perhaps the first grand scale experiment in multiculturalism and we can learn a great deal from their experience today.

*Of course we're an exceptional society upon whom the normal lessons do not apply. History has very little to teach us ;)

Oddly enough national interests bearing the yoke of a greater empire as established by Assyria has been a fairly constant feature in the Middle East since then. The West hasn't tasted that since Rome fell. Its crazy to think that after nearly three millennia something that roughly equates to nationalism has been restored in the Middle East, and conversely after nearly two millennia of nationalism the West has turned to transnationalism. We're only missing a despotic overlord now (or are we?).

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”