What is a 'Right'?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

What is a 'Right'?

Postby Masato » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:50 am

Hey all

Just had an interesting conversation with a friend, trying to define and understand exactly what it is we are talking about when we use the word 'right'... as i; 'I have the right to such and such', or 'you don't have the right to do that', etc.

What is it?

I argues that it is an illusion, a phantom of the mind and nothing real. My friend argues they existed, based on consensus and majority agreement and law.

But are they? People talk of Human Rights, and in this context they seem to be perceived as if they exist above and outside of law.

Perception of 'rights' can oppose each other, as in a fetus' 'right' to live, vs a mother's 'right' to control her own body. Do they both have a 'right'? How can this be? Where is your 'right' to live, as your murderer is pulling the trigger? Will your 'right' stop the bullet? If not where is it then? Who bestows our 'rights'? etc who has the 'right' to give or deny anyone permission for anything?

I argued there are no such things, in the end it just comes down to a matter of force whose 'rights' prevail, and that the true state of the world, no matter the laws or consensus, is in fact total anarchy and always has been. He didn't agree, and argued fervently.

Strange concept...

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 pm

It's what most people follow a left with.

Totally agreed boss. Rights are whatever you make them. It's a concept, not a truth.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:39 am

Yet so many speak of them as if they were something tangible and eternal...

Like when people discuss 'God', without examining their definitions of the word.

Really; what 'rights' do we 'have'? And bestowed by whom?

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 pm

It's a construct. Depending on where you're from or where you're at, you feel lucky to be breathing and don't think in terms of 'rights'. You're just trying to make it another day.

When you're doing your best to keep being fed and watered for another day without getting slaughtered, what are your rights?

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 am

- The concept of right and wrong varies with the pass of centuries and how our cultural changes make us see the world.
The truth is humans are too dawn stupid and need several rules to respect and interact with other humans, our concept of right and wrongs varies. But i think some universal laws stand with the pass of times. I`m not a religious person, but i personally think that the theory of the 10 commandments are great for living in society.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Anarchy Zone”