Anyone have experience with collection agencies?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Anyone have experience with collection agencies?

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:32 pm

I've never had to hire one before, but these mofos in the US are now 7 months late on 2G's.

How to choose one? How do they actually put pressure on the client?

I talked to one I found on a random google search, said they take 30%. Seems like a lot

This is the first time in 13 years I've been shafted this bad, I suppose that's a good record. But fuck them I want my money

How does this shit work?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Where are they located? Social media is a powerful tool these days
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Dog the bounty hunter!

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 pm

It wasn't Trump was it?
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

superCalo

Postby superCalo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm

30% is a lot
dunno how gangsta collection agencys in canada work doe

Have used legit ones that charge 15 - 20 & gang one that was 50%, legit one worked most times .

What

Postby What » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:12 pm

I have had a few friends who were in the business actually. One used to say "I dont collect money, I change perceptions". People seem entitled to your money after a certain time, the longer they delay or dont pay the more they feel entitled to make excuses to not pay. I had a friend just recently pass who was a debt collector, he made it on Dragons Den and pitched his case for financial support and ended up almost with a reality show......

He charged between 17-25% depending on the individual case. Used various means to sway debtors to pay his clients. Very successful and usually claimed 95% success rate. Not sure how other debt collectors charge or what their success rates are but it does work to get some of your hard earned cash back.

Maybe find one in the states close to the company you are after? They generally want a retainer then take out the money from the collected funds....

I am owed some money due to a poor decision to enter into a partnership. The worst feeling is when you put time, effort and energy into something to find out someone else benefited and you are out of that investment.

Good luck Masato I hope it all works out for you

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 pm

I worked as a telephone debt collector during university

There's whats known as "skip tracers" who are the people who go through electoral rolls and other stuff trying to trace people and then there are the debt collectors themselves who take over a call once someone has been tracked down

I did a few weeks as a skip tracer first, if someone wasnt returning calls we would leave messages for them with 4 or 5 neighbours on each side of them and get them to push a note under their door asking that they contact us. People would come home and find 10 notes under their door and freak out.

People (not the debtor but people we were leaving messages with) would often ask who we were so we would say "due to the privacy act I cant tell you the nature or details of this call but I can say that Im a debt collector" haha

I managed to ring a guy who was in vietnam and owed $90K, I told him that it was illegal to leave the country when you have >$10,000 in bad debts and that I would be notifying customs (lol not immigration I said customs) and the fucker got his brother to bring a cash cheque in the next day.

That was a good month for me

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:49 pm

I'd probably call an attorney in the US (the county, state they are in) and ask a price for them to send a letter requesting payment I.e. Professionally threatening a law suit. Some want you to enter a contract that they get a percentage. But some will do it for a flat rate. I had an attorney send one for free for me once. Of course, I was young and cute. Hmmmm, maybe have your wife call. Lol

Google a letter like that, make your own with professional letterhead (which you may already have) stating your intentions to seek "civil action" unless paid within 30 days.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm

lol @ chasing 2Gs after 7 months

Let it go Masato, you already made enough out of yours and Ben's book sales.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”