Career question

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Vutulaki

Career question

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:27 am

As some of you know I work from home and have at times a super stressful job and at other times a super cushy role.

Last night I was approached to join a rival co as a 2IC for pretty much twice the money as I make now but this is a people management office based role as opposed to my at home technical role.

Id have to add 2 hours in total in commute per day if I jump ship.

Twice the money

What say you?

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:47 am

Definitely take it. You are a people person, through and through. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously though. Is the extra money worth it to you? You are going to be giving up on some quality time with your children. Also what would it cost you in childcare? That needs to be factored in.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:16 am

Benwahwah wrote:Definitely take it. You are a people person, through and through. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously though. Is the extra money worth it to you? You are going to be giving up on some quality time with your children. Also what would it cost you in childcare? That needs to be factored in.

Haha if youd ever spoken to me off the forums youd know that im actually a people person.

Galt comes across as a nice guy on forums and I come across as a cunt. Now which one was stopping the other from bashing random people in the street when we met IRL you think?

Anyways my time with my kids wouldnt change as they are both in school (free childcare) but at the moment I can get away with sleeping in till 10 every day easily, I would however be able to take the ferry to work from just down the street from me and enjoy this everyday

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:45 am

I'm just busting your chops dude. You seem like a decent guy.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. It sounds to me like you have already decided that you want to do it. If this is the case then I think you definitely should. If you don't you are always going to wonder what it would have been like to do it.

Also, twice as much money is going to make a very real difference to you. So that has to be seriously considered, you will be able to provide a much better standard of living for your family. If you can get past not having a sleep in each day then it seems like a no-brainer.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:06 am

Benwahwah wrote:I'm just busting your chops dude. You seem like a decent guy.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. It sounds to me like you have already decided that you want to do it. If this is the case then I think you definitely should. If you don't you are always going to wonder what it would have been like to do it.

Also, twice as much money is going to make a very real difference to you. So that has to be seriously considered, you will be able to provide a much better standard of living for your family. If you can get past not having a sleep in each day then it seems like a no-brainer.

Yes indeed.

Here is the clincher, I worked for my current company about 8 years ago and left for a better role. This was during the GFC and the company I worked for had an american head office so they werent keen on paying people out and letting them go via redundancies so instead they "sales managed" us (it was a broker role nothing like im doing now or proposing to do) thats basically a way around having to fire someone due to performance issues IE youre performing fine in terms of your efforts but in that economic climate its hard to sell anything.

After leaving my current co last time I faced easily the worst 12 moths of my life, I had one kid and one on the way and watched as my colleagues get fired and was just waiting for the call to the bosses office for my turn, that fucking sucked especially when there was nothing available on the job market.

Times have changed though I guess, our most popular job site has 6 pages of jobs that fit my search criteria vs zero back then so maybe Im being a bitch here. Got to take some risks in life eh?

Hows you hunt going?

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 am

Life is definitely about taking risks. Coming out to Thailand was a huge risk for me. I was relatively comfortable in the UK. With friends and family around me; but I needed to take that chance at something better. So far I don't regret my decision. As you've seen from my Facebook I've been having an awesome time of it. So at the minute I tend to be on the side that says chances should be taken. Although, in your situation it is more precarious as you have your children to consider.

If you are confident that you will be secure in your new job then I say do it.

As for me I have a couple of open options at the minute. I had the interview from last week that I haven't heard back from, that is with a local school. The second option is with a company I am interviewing with in Japan. If I got offered both I'd be really torn. I like the area I'm living in at the minute, but Japan has always been the dream.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:09 am

Benwahwah wrote:Life is definitely about taking risks. Coming out to Thailand was a huge risk for me. I was relatively comfortable in the UK. With friends and family around me; but I needed to take that chance at something better. So far I don't regret my decision. As you've seen from my Facebook I've been having an awesome time of it. So at the minute I tend to be on the side that says chances should be taken. Although, in your situation it is more precarious as you have your children to consider.

If you are confident that you will be secure in your new job then I say do it.

As for me I have a couple of open options at the minute. I had the interview from last week that I haven't heard back from, that is with a local school. The second option is with a company I am interviewing with in Japan. If I got offered both I'd be really torn. I like the area I'm living in at the minute, but Japan has always been the dream.

Cheers mate appreciate the vote of confidence.

I reckon Japan is a good idea, if ESL falls through you could always make the Sumo circuit

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 am

Of course slacking at home has it's own rewards. Sounds like a tough call to me.
el rey del mambo

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 pm

This is a great thread, issues I often grapple with

I also work from home (freelance), and been doing it for over 13 years. I often dream that maybe a big opportunity to do something greater will come in, but then I start realizing what I'd be giving up etc... is it worth it? Working from home is awesome for my kids, and awesome for me in many ways, but change/growth/opportunity/more money is always good too.

Sometimes I wonder if I have been working alone and smoking herbs for so long that if I had to go be part of a team/studio workplace again I don't know how weird I'd be or realize how sheltered I may have become :D

Financial security would be nice though, as freelance I never know wtf is coming in, always adapting.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:28 pm

also LOL @ the idea of Vutu in a social workplace if he is anything IRL like he is on forums :D :D :D

Would some damn interesting water-cooler moments I tell ya

Return to “Anarchy Zone”