Career question

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Shinkicker

Re: Career question

Postby Shinkicker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Masato wrote:This is a great thread, issues I often grapple with

I also work from home (freelance), and been doing it for over 13 years. I often dream that maybe a big opportunity to do something greater will come in, but then I start realizing what I'd be giving up etc... is it worth it? Working from home is awesome for my kids, and awesome for me in many ways, but change/growth/opportunity/more money is always good too.

Sometimes I wonder if I have been working alone and smoking herbs for so long that if I had to go be part of a team/studio workplace again I don't know how weird I'd be or realize how sheltered I may have become :D

Financial security would be nice though, as freelance I never know wtf is coming in, always adapting.

Don't worry about being weird!

I was a stay at home mom for 5 years! Out in the countryside, too, ffs. (Hence, how I came to enjoy Internet forums). I went back to college, got back into the work force and I love it. I was shy before. Not now, not ever again. I love meeting new people and actually talking with them. I think I appreciate it sooo much more now!

Weird? Pfft. Weird is awesome.

I'd rather be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
-Marilyn Monroe

*That quote should be my sig.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Masato wrote:also LOL @ the idea of Vutu in a social workplace if he is anything IRL like he is on forums :D :D :D

Would some damn interesting water-cooler moments I tell ya

Well I spent over 15 years in the corporate office environment, about 8 of that in leadership roles and ive had a fuck ton of formal complaints filed against me.

Ive been sent to equal opportunity training and counselling on various occasions

I once grabbed a guy while we were drinking well into the night in a boardroom and slammed him against the wall by his throat and then punched a hole in the drywall inches away from his face

yeah

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Vutulaki wrote:As some of you know I work from home and have at times a super stressful job and at other times a super cushy role.

Last night I was approached to join a rival co as a 2IC for pretty much twice the money as I make now but this is a people management office based role as opposed to my at home technical role.

Id have to add 2 hours in total in commute per day if I jump ship.

Twice the money

What say you?

- If you can provide to your family without problem, that 2 hour is time better spent with them.
Even for twice the money. Time never comes back.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14 pm

How solid is the company? Do you believe in it and want to see it grow, or are you just there to get some more cash?

Is it worth the trip? If you take the position, are you going to take them to the next level?

I say take the job, torpedo their business from within and possibly burn their physical building down.

If you do that successfully, there's less competition for you, so you can continue to work from home.

You're welcome.

superCalo

Postby superCalo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm

two hour extra commute would be killa 4 me, in ferry 100000% better than on road though

I can handle work but not the commuting
I have about 15 mins, half hour at the most & I'm retiring in next year or so, its got far too hard, taking kids to/from sports practises will be my furthest daily travel

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:12 am

superCalo wrote:two hour extra commute would be killa 4 me, in ferry 100000% better than on road though

I can handle work but not the commuting
I have about 15 mins, half hour at the most & I'm retiring in next year or so, its got far too hard, taking kids to/from sports practises will be my furthest daily travel

You fucking gook

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:27 am

Shinkicker wrote:
Masato wrote:This is a great thread, issues I often grapple with

I also work from home (freelance), and been doing it for over 13 years. I often dream that maybe a big opportunity to do something greater will come in, but then I start realizing what I'd be giving up etc... is it worth it? Working from home is awesome for my kids, and awesome for me in many ways, but change/growth/opportunity/more money is always good too.

Sometimes I wonder if I have been working alone and smoking herbs for so long that if I had to go be part of a team/studio workplace again I don't know how weird I'd be or realize how sheltered I may have become :D

Financial security would be nice though, as freelance I never know wtf is coming in, always adapting.

Don't worry about being weird!

I was a stay at home mom for 5 years! Out in the countryside, too, ffs. (Hence, how I came to enjoy Internet forums). I went back to college, got back into the work force and I love it. I was shy before. Not now, not ever again. I love meeting new people and actually talking with them. I think I appreciate it sooo much more now!

Weird? Pfft. Weird is awesome.

I'd rather be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
-Marilyn Monroe

*That quote should be my sig.

I did not know this. You are possibly the only female here?
el rey del mambo

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 am

False alarm, the cunt that called me and asked has not contacted me back. Dickhead said "shoot your CV through HR will need it to lodge your application but its just a formality, you can interview with me over a coffee"

Sent him my CV and not heard back. Might not have helped that I cut and pasted my latest job description off LinkedIN haha

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Shinkicker wrote: Don't worry about being weird!

Is that making it weird?

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Shinkicker wrote:
Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Shinkicker wrote: Don't worry about being weird!

Is that making it weird?

No, I hope you like it. Welcome.
el rey del mambo

Return to “Anarchy Zone”