The official MT x files thread

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Canuckster

The official MT x files thread

Postby Canuckster » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:30 pm

As I may or may not have mentioned in another thread, I am currently watching the x files in its entirety on netflix in an effort to catch up on the new mini series they are going to come out with soon.

Currently i am on season 3 episode 20.

I would like to make a few observations and use this thread to discusss if anyone wants to or just to drop my thoughts into.

Season one and two are really lukewarm and a really nice proving ground for the main characters, season 3 is where the series really kicks it up a notch in my opinion.

Now, what I've really noticed is that a LOT of mainstream hollywood stars have been in this show, everyone from lucy liu, bd wong to jack black, ryan reynolds, giovanni ribisi, hell, even relic from the old beachcombers show is in a couple of different episodes as 2 separate characters. It's an impressive list to say the least. and I'm only on season 3.

I wish, I wish, I wish that I had been able to watch this show to see what I see now. To be able to understand what the television medium was delivering to me at that time would have changed how I viewed what I watched.

This show in every way shape and form is complete and utter predictive programming, and it is incredibly well executed. From watching it back in the day, one wouldn't catch the references to mkultra, project bluebeam, NSA surveillance, drone surveillance, nanotech, a mindboggling array of topics get referenced in this show, some very subtly and some not so much. etc etc the list goes on and on. The show clearly wanted to reinforce in people that there was a benevolent force within your government that was able to operate and attempt to bring wrong doers within the government to justice. Was Chris Carter trying to inform the public about the malevolent goings on in the world? hardly, I don't believe for a second that he would have been permitted to air these things so blatantly unless they wanted it to be done. There are even references to sandy hook type towns where entire townsfolk are involved in mystery and conspiracy for certain episodes.

You really owe it to yourself to sit back and try to watch this show from a historical perspective from front to back and see just how much it affected the social landscape we live in today, because I believe we did just that, I also believe that the show was stopped when it was because it had simply ran out its usefulness. its ratings had dropped, likely due to the introduction of whats his name to replace mulder.

The symbolism is also ever present in this show. it isn't heavy handed at all however, and is handled very craftily by Chris carter. In today's symbology saturated world, this shows symbology would be missed entirely and to point it out one would likely have their sanity called into question simply to point it out as it could be easily dismissed.

episodes of note:

Piper Maru" is the fifteenth episode of the third season. this is a two parter and really a highlight of the series thus far. this episode could be watched on its own with little backstory of the show and really is excellent.

"D.P.O." is the third episode of the third season of The X-Files. This stars Giovanni ribisi and jack black. ribisi is really good in this one jack black is just a supporting character. the excellent quality of the show begins to kick off around this point.

"The Walk" season 3 episode 7

The astral projection of a soldier begins killing several people in and around a military hospital, apparently in search of revenge. pong take notes here. this episode is a favourite of mine.

"Oubliette"Season 3 episode 8, another favourite of mine, extremely well acted.

A young girl is kidnapped and appears to have a psychic connection to a woman who was kidnapped many years before that manifests in mirrored actions miles away

"Quagmire" Season 3 episode 22-another really good episode, and a dead ripoff of lake placid, i am unsure which came first, but one or the other stole this story. many x files episodes mirror movie plots in story and scope.***edit*** lake placid appears to have ripped off x files, lake placid is 1999, this episode is 1996***

In a small town, Mulder and Scully investigate rumors of a prehistoric lake monster called Big Blue.

"Wetwired" Season 3 episode 23

As the agents investigate a series of murders committed by ordinary citizens angered after seeing illusory images, Scully's trust in Mulder is put to the ultimate test. This episode covers attempts by an unknown faction of the government using radio waves in television to control and make people paranoid as a test, several people snap and kill people for no reason when exposed. it affects sculy and mulder. The real interest of this story to me was how it seemed to parallel the mass shootings of today for no apparent reason, something that at the time was really not a problem in those days. so to me the storyline is very interesting.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:56 pm

People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:37 pm

- I only started watching whem Robert Patrick joined the show.
Don't remember to much about the show, they never did reruuns
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:54 am

Season 4 episode 2: Home

This episode aired only once as far as I know and generated a ton of controversy for its graphic subject matter. Probably the most infamous episode of the entire series, it is not the best in my opinion as a lot of it leaves a lot of open ended questions and moments making you question the stupidity level of Mulder and scully. That being said, at the time, I did watch this episode when it aired and was aghast at what I was watching for the time.I did not even question the extremely loose plotlines and incredibly stupid things the police did in this show that became apparent after a couple of watchings.

This episode holds up extremely well and is still a good watch. It just isn't anywhere near the best in the series.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:18 am

Season 4 episode 5: the field where I died.

Agents Mulder and Scully investigate a suspicious religious cult, which inadvertently draws Mulder into recalling a past life, in the field where he died.

this episode is straight up based on the story of david koresh and the events that went on at the branch davidian ranch in waco texas..

this is predictive programming at its most blatant. these types of episodes are geared to exclusively cement the ideas wished to be reinforced, in this case the narrative of waco texas and the slaughter of david koreshes people and compound being justified because there were children being abused.

worth a watch if you feel like barfing . its a weak link in a stellar series thus far for me. but don't take my word for it. watch the episode and see for yourself.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:43 pm

this previous episode left such a foul taste in my mouth I havent been able to watch any more episodes since.

hopefully i get back to it.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:43 pm

Ok, got back into it, am currently on season 4 episode 24. The series itself takes a real nosedive in season 4. The only story arcs of note are when the smoking man backstory of how he killed jfk is covered. It would only be of interest to hardcore fans of the show who understand the backstory. The only other episodes of note are the ones where Mulder and scully deal with the cancer in scully and their boss skinner sacrifices himself professionally and behind the scenes to try and secure a cure for scully and in doing so redeems himself.

Otherwise season 4 is a meh.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:18 am

currently up to season 7 ep 12

the show has somewhat redeemed itself in season 6, season 4-5 were a real low spot i the series.
season 7 e12 is a fantastic parody episode of a crossover between cops and the xfiles

top notch episode. definitely worth a watch

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Season 7 episode 20.

Of note: Gene lebell is in it.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:05 pm

- I wound`t be surprised if they did a reboot of that show.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Anarchy Zone”