Nasa starts year-long isolation to simulate life on Mars

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Nasa starts year-long isolation to simulate life on Mars

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:58 pm

A team of Nasa recruits has begun living in a dome near a barren volcano in Hawaii to simulate what life would be like on Mars.
The isolation experience, which will last a year starting on Friday, will be the longest of its type attempted.
Experts estimate that a human mission to the Red Planet could take between one and three years.
The six-strong team will live in close quarters under the dome, without fresh air, fresh food or privacy.
They closed themselves away at 15:00 local time on Friday (01:00 GMT Saturday).

A journey outside the dome - which measures only 36ft (11m) in diameter and is 20ft (6m) tall - will require a spacesuit.
A French astrobiologist, a German physicist and four Americans - a pilot, an architect, a journalist and a soil scientist - make up the Nasa team.

The men and women will each have a small sleeping cot and a desk inside their rooms. Provisions include powdered cheese and canned tuna.

Missions to the International Space Station last six months. The US space agency has recently conducted four-month and eight-month-long isolation experiments.

While others focus on the technical and scientific challenges of the journey, the isolation experiments address the human element of exploration and problems that arise living in tight quarters.

"I think one of the lessons is that you really can't prevent interpersonal conflicts. It is going to happen over these long-duration missions, even with the very best people," said Kim Binsted, a Nasa investigator.

Source:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34092770

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Sounds like a blast!

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:01 pm

I wonder if they are allowed to breed.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:13 pm

I'd breed.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm sure there's no shortage of mom's basement dwelling, neckbearded internet trolls that would have zero problem with this since they've likely not had human contact for their entire adult life since the internet came along.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:09 pm

Yeah man the internet's awesome.

Eva Braun

Postby Eva Braun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm

That must be quite challenging to spend a whole year surrounding by wild nature and unknown people. But I totally agree that these experiments will come in handy when it comes to the real-life on Red Planet.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Hey who the fack is Eva Braun?

Welcome, Eva!
Come introduce yourself if you are real

If you are actually Eva Braun I have some questions

Return to “Anarchy Zone”