Just fired a client

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Just fired a client

Postby Masato » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi ----------, I'm very sorry but I simply cannot continue to work under these conditions.

There is obviously some great misunderstanding somewhere about the artist/client relationship, and what those expectations are. This is the strangest job I have had in years, -----(another illustrator on the same job) confirmed the same, it is completely astounding and I am really not sure it can be solved.

In short I have simply lost faith that I can trust it at any level; I have no control over my scheduling etc for days, have lost many days/hours of income, and have accommodated round-the-clock availability beyond reasonable expectations, and still somehow there is still a consistent inefficiency in how the creative direction and feedback seems to integrate an illustrator into the process.

I lost the whole day yesterday waiting for direction for just 2 mere frames. Now a day later, hours after a brief, late in the afternoon, its changing again? I have no idea what the frame will be, nor when I will get direction. Maybe they will have new frames? How late will I be up tonight? I have no idea. That's 2 days in a row now I've basically booked off and worked for nothing. Combined with the previous round of work, I have taken a lot of big hits financially on this job.

What I can offer is a day-rate of $1000/day, plus $150/hr after 6pm to keep me on hold & available for whatever you need. For this arrangement you can delay/change feedback as long as you like, and I will be happy to do endless revisions without complaint, even overnights.

But the traditional artist/client relationship has been broken so many times already for this job I'm afraid for my own protection I cannot continue on a per-work basis. If you would like to find another illustrator I completely understand.

I will not bill you for the work I did today that is now scrapped/changed.

Sincerely

-------------
(aka Masato)

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:22 pm

I really hate to do that, I've only felt I had to do it a few times.

I pride myself on being very easy to work with, I am happy to bust myself to a point to make things work for a client.
But this job was a nightmare, man. Weeks of nonsense.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:09 pm

UPDATE:

Just got a call from the Sr Producer - either she just totally kissed my arse, or she's just manipulated me into working for them again, lol I'm not sure which.

I said if they were gonna be all chaotic with their creative direction/feedback that they have to allow a greater window of time for me to fit it into my schedule. She agreed.

Now instead of having work ready for tomorrow I have till next wednesday, lol.

Watch the brief come in Tuesday at 10pm lol

BobbyD963

Postby BobbyD963 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Wow that blows.

PS
You charge $1000 a day? Damn son..

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:58 pm

^ lol no, that was an exaggerated pitch to scare them away, lol

that's the 'I'll be your bitch' rate :D

Of course I would take it if they gave it but I don't think they would lol

I have never actually charged a day rate. I only charge per illustration. That's why this job was so shitty, they kept me hanging around for days while deciding on a few frames that in the end are only worth a few hundred bones.

penxv

Postby penxv » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 pm

I don't think you get to fire clients. What you're talking about is called quitting.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:02 am

Lol, I think you might be right :)

Sounds so much more eloquent the way I said it

I am picking up the job supposedly tomorrow morning @ 9:15am

Sometimes you just have to draw a line, they were fuckin me around too much. Now they are playing right, (I hope)

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:32 am

I like masatos take, fire those sumbitches.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 am

Canuckster, I imagine you can also relate to having clients that think its OK to jerk you around...

I will put up with a lot to deliver good service, but there is a line after which its just self-respect imo, if a client is being disrespectful and costing you time and money you can't just keep getting fucked until they don't need you anymore. That's one reason I went freelance, so I didn't have to be a subordinate to a boss.

I just got off the phone, they called at 9:15 sharp as they said. Had their shit together, and were clear and generous with the new deadlines.

Sometimes I think people just don't know how to work with illustrators; they are not rude, they only don't know the expectations of how we work and what is the most efficient way to incorporate an illustrator into their process.

I like to think when I do this that I am helping them learn, and they will be better at this part of their job in the future for me, and all the other illustrators they will inevitably hire

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:35 pm

You better believe that I know what that shit is like.

I've actually fired one client. Told her, I didn't think there was any way possible to satisfy her needs and pay us for work completed
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”