Goliath Birdeater: Images of a Colossal Spider

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Goliath Birdeater: Images of a Colossal Spider

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:53 pm

By Tanya Lewis

Imagine a spider as big as a child's forearm that weighs as much as a puppy. That's how huge the South American Goliath birdeater — arguably the world's largest spider — can be. Entomologist and photographer Piotr Naskrecki encountered one while he was on a nighttime stroll in the rainforest of Guyana, and at first he thought it was a small, hairy mammal. Here's a brief look at the fearsome eight-legged beast — arachnophobes beware! [Read full story on the Goliath spider encounterhttp://www.livescience.com/48340-goliath-birdeater-surprises-scientist.html

The South American Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi) is the world's largest spider, according to Guinness World Records. Itslegs can reach up to one foot (30 centimeters) and it can weight up to 6 oz. (170 grams).

Defense mechanisms

The spider has three lines of defense. By rubbing its legs against its abdomen, it produces a cloud of tiny, barbed hairs that get in the eyes and mucous membranes and cause extreme pain and itching for days. It has two-inch-long fangs strong enough to pierce a mouse's skull. And it can make a hissing sound by rubbing its hairs together, which sounds like pulling Velcro apart.

"Birdeater"

Despite its name, the Goliath birdeater doesn't usually eat birds (although it's definitely capable of doing so.) Instead, it eats whatever it can find on the ground — usually earthworms, frogs, or other small invertebrates, injecting venom into its prey with its lengthy fangs. The spider does not pose much of a threat to humans, though a bite would be "like driving a nail through your hand," Naskrecki said.

Guyana specimen

Naskrecki encountered this specimen, a female, on a trip to Guyana, and captured her to take back with him. She is now stored in a museum. Naskrecki has only seen a total of three birdeaters in his career.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:01 pm

The Goliath birdeater has plenty of ways to scare off potential predators, including a behavior called stridulation in which it rubs the bristles on its first two legs and pedipalps together to create a hissing sound. The spider can also strike a spooky pose by arching the first two pairs of its legs back and "hinging back the fangs," so it's in perfect bite mode, according to the Natural History Museumhttp://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/species-of-the-day/biodiversity/loss-of-habitat/theraphosa-blondi/behaviour-biology/index.html. If that weren't enough, the Goliath can flick barbed hairs from its abdomen at potential enemies — the hairs can irritate the skin of such foes. (Photo Credit: AppStock | Shutterstock.com)

Growing up

The spiders take about two to three years go mature. And being a type of tarantula, the Goliath birdeater continues to molt into adulthood; that allows the creepy-crawlies to regenerate damaged or lost limbs, according to the Natural History Museum. (Photo Credit: Audrey Snider-Bell | Shutterstock.com)

Up-Close

Here, a close-up look at a Goliath birdeater tarantula. The beast can grow as long as a child's forearm and weigh more than 6 oz. (170 grams), according to Naskrecki. (Photo Credit: B & T Media Group Inc. | Shutterstock.com)

Huntsman Spider

Some sources say the giant huntsman spider, due to its sprawling leg span, is bigger than the Goliath birdeater. The huntsman's legs, rather than bending vertically relative to the body, have twisted joints that allow the legs to spread out forward and laterally sort of like a crab, according to the Australian Museum.

http://www.livescience.com/48339-goliath-birdeater-spider-photos.html

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 am

Only seen three in her life? There is usually one at your local exotic pet store or expo. Specifically T. Blondi is pretty popular among enthusiasts. Beautiful creatures. Also they dont actually eat birds.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 am

Fuck

That

Place.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Luigi wrote:Only seen three in her life? There is usually one at your local exotic pet store or expo. Specifically T. Blondi is pretty popular among enthusiasts. Beautiful creatures. Also they dont actually eat birds.

- I wound't trusth on those things Luigi, if we had spiders that big here, i would never sleep without a chastity belt to protect my bird.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”