New poison dart frog species discovered in Donoso, Panama

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

New poison dart frog species discovered in Donoso, Panama

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:40 am

Date: September 26, 2014
Source: Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute

Summary:A bright orange poison dart frog with a unique call has been discovered in Donoso, Panama. Because this new frog species appears to be found in only a very small area, habitat loss and collecting for the pet trade are major threats to its existence. The authors recommend the formulation of special conservation plans to guarantee its survival.

A bright orange poison dart frog with a unique call was discovered in Donoso, Panama, and described by researchers from the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute and the Universidad Autónoma de Chiriquí in Panama, and the Universidad de los Andes in Colombia. In the species description published this week in Zootaxa, it was named Andinobates geminisae for Geminis Vargas, "the beloved wife of [coauthor] Marcos Ponce, for her unconditional support of his studies of Panamanian herpetology."

Every new species name is based on a representative specimen. The specimen for this species was collected Feb. 21, 2011, in the headwaters of the Rio Caño, in the district of Donoso, Colón Province, Panama, by Samuel Valdés, who was then the MWH Global Inc. environment office director, and his field assistant, Carlos de la Cruz. Additional specimens were collected between the Rio Coclé del Norte and the Rio Belen by biologists Marcos Ponce and Abel Batista, then a student at the Universidad Autónoma de Chiriquí. The specimens were deposited in the Museo de Vertebrados at the University of Panama, the Museo Herpetólogico de Chiriquí at the Universidad Autónoma de Chiriquí and in the Círculo Herpetólogico de Panamá.

"Abel Batista and Marcos Ponce were the first to note the presence of this species," said Cesar Jaramillo, Smithsonian herpetologist. "They've known it was there for several years. However, they were not sure if it was only a variety of another poison dart frog species, Oophaga pumilio, which exhibits tremendous color variation. Based on morphological characteristics of the adult and the tadpole, I thought it might be a new species of Andinobates."

The hololotype specimen, which scientists used as the basis to describe a new species of poison dart frog: Andinobates geminisae.
Credit: Cesar Jaramillo, STRI

Andrew Crawford, professor at Universidad de Los Andes and former STRI postdoctoral fellow, sequenced the DNA, confirming that this was a new species of Andinobates. Genetic information about this species is available in the Barcode of Life Data System and in GenBank. A recording of the call is available at [color=#0000FF]http://amphibiaweb.org/[/color]

Because this new frog species appears to be found in only a very small area, habitat loss and collecting for the pet trade are major threats to its existence. The authors recommend the formulation of special conservation plans to guarantee its survival. A. geminisae is included in the captive breeding program of the Panama Amphibian Rescue and Conservation project, a consortium of six zoos and research institutions dedicated to saving amphibians from the chytrid fungal disease, which is decimating amphibians worldwide, and habitat loss.

Source:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140926213636.htm
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:55 am

I have a personal sort of fascination with frogs, specifically the poison ones with psychedelic qualities.

I think it is my 'power animal' or totem or whatever.

My old avatar at Sherdog was a frog, but nobody could see it, lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:06 am

I once had a really strange trip on LSD where I was flooded with the idea that these kind of frogs might actually exist in a constant LSD-type fequency of consciousness. That perhaps these frogs may actually be highly enlightened creatures, existing partially in other dimensions, etc

I think they are beautiful.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Masato wrote:I once had a really strange trip on LSD where I was flooded with the idea that these kind of frogs might actually exist in a constant LSD-type fequency of consciousness. That perhaps these frogs may actually be highly enlightened creatures, existing partially in other dimensions, etc

I think they are beautiful.

- All those frogs are handsome fellas, i can imagine them pulling the ladies to pison:

- Hey girl, kiss-me andf i will transforme in a prince!

The frog i quoted is the collest one, he has the Spider-man collor pattern.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:11 pm

I wonder how they taste,

probably delicious.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:01 am

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:26 am

There is a story about a frog that has always stuck with me:

Once upon a time there was a frog who lived in a well. It was a beautiful well with fresh water and lots of great places for a frog to live and play. He was very happy and proud.

One day a crab walked by. 'Hello', said the frog. "Where do you live?"

"I live in the Ocean", replied the crab. "The Ocean?" asked the frog. "What's that? Is it big?"

"Oh yes", said the crab. "It's very big."

"Half as big as my well?" Asked the frog.

"Bigger", replied the crab.

"Almost as big as my well?" asked the frog.

"Bigger", said the crab.

"As big as my well?" asked the frog, incredulously.

"Way bigger!" said the crab.

Well the frog was so curious with disbelief, that he asked the crab to show him this 'Ocean'.

...and when the frog saw the Ocean for the first time, it was so much bigger than he could imagine that his head just exploded.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 am

Masato wrote:Image

- LOved that.:D

How manyy people you guy think that are gonna fall for that?
I know that are people that think Lebron don't take Ped's, those people fall for annything tought.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:43 pm

^posted in rb pic of the day, thats awesome.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”