Rubbery robot battles flames, snow and gets run over

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Rubbery robot battles flames, snow and gets run over

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Burn it, freeze it, run it over – this robot just keeps squirming. Created by Michael Tolley of Harvard University and his team, the robot is completely squishy, with no rigid skeleton. At 65 centimetres long, it is bigger than previous designs, all of which have required a tether to walk on land.

Its beefed up size allows it to support a battery pack that keeps it going for up to 2 hours and an electrically powered air compressor system that drives its pneumatic motion. Soft robots are of interest for search and rescue missions, says Tolley, or in any situation where a flexible body can better navigate through tight spaces. Its ability to handle extreme conditions should also come in handy.

In experiments, Tolley's robot was able to walk through a snowstorm with temperatures reaching -9 °C, withstand flames for 20 seconds, resist water and acids as well as having its limbs driven over by a car. Since the electrical components of the prototype are exposed, it was only the resilience of the body that was tested. But Tolley claims that embedding the electronics in the soft body could be a quick fix.

The team sees the design as a starting point for a new generation of soft robots that can jump, slither and grasp delicate objects.

Tolley and his colleagues plan to improve the speed and mobility of the robot, for example by adding feet, as well as programming it to respond to obstacles or navigate towards a goal.

Cecilia Laschi of the Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies in Pisa, Italy, who is developing a rubbery robotic octopus that can search the seabed, is impressed with the soft robot. "This is a good example of how soft robotics can help build very robust devices, with very low risk of damage," she says. "The field of soft robotics is now becoming mature enough to show effective applications."

Source:http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26164-rubbery-robot-battles-flames-snow-and-gets-run-over.html#.VAokFerF9Io

John Corben AKA Metallo:. The character first appeared in Action Comics #252 (May 1959).

If this was Sherdog, the super-haters would say Metallo is a copy of the terminator.:D
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:09 am

cooooool

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 am

If this was Sherdog, I wouldn't be here
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”